How you met your Significant Other

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NICKP2009, May 26, 2009.

1. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I met my SO in a truly romantic setting. A dentist's waiting room.
    We exchanged pleasantries, then my turn came. The dentist gave me the wrong injection and I passed out. Came to in SO's arms. I was okay after a while.
    'What are you doing this weekend?' asked SO.
    'Going to visit a friend in Bodrum,' I said.
    'I'm going there too, want a lift?'
    The rest is history.
    Funny thing is, he wasn't at the dentist as a patient, he was there with his workmate who was engaged to the receptionist and they were waiting to drive her home when she'd finished for the day.
    And he really was planning to go to Bodrum.
    Swear to god this is totally true.

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

heh! Sounds like a really cool story madhoca.

3. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I was in beauty school and the old ladys kept saying "You'll run into your soulmate and not even know it." while I'd roll thier hair.

Cut to 3 years later, I'm on a date. We are driving down the road and I say "Oh, I had a wreck here a few years ago."
    He says "really?"
    and I said "Yeah, my mom and I rear ended a boat a couple of guys were pulling."
    His eyes got wide and he said "Right here?" and was acting weird.
    I said "yep, we were in a my old black car. I was in beauty school, so it was about three years ago."
    He said "It was me!! It was me! You hit me!"
    Turns out he was the passenger in the truck pulling the boat. When we got detailed, sure enough, we'd had an accident together.

And we've been married 5 years now. So the old ladies were right, I did run into him and not even know it.

4. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

That is an awesome story! I love it!

5. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Got to be friends working together. Eventually started talking to her outside of work, and it turned out that after the first call (for girl advice, nonetheless), we'd talk every night for hours about nothing. I considered her my best friend, but she was in a fairly meaningless and hateful relationship and I couldn't do anything.

Until they broke up. ;)

That night we were watching TV on her couch and I put my arm around her and kissed her. I haven't not seen her a single day in the last 8 months.

6. NICKP2009

NICKP2009 New Member

Wow these are some great stories...I wonder when mine will come! That's awesome about the wreck...how cool is that??

7. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Okay. I'll tell the story of how I met the one ex I have.

I was at church with one of my best friends. It was Wednesday night, and I was out in the field next to the church hunting grasshoppers. He comes up and asks if he could too. So, I shrug, and he starts to hunt grasshoppers with us until the pastor's wife comes out and starts yelling at us about getting bitten by snakes.

...we were eight. He was my best friend since. *shrug* not anymore.

8. hiddennovelist

Joel and I were hanging out with some of his work friends, and one of them told us the story of how he met his wife:

She was working as a nanny at a house up in Idaho during the summer, and he came in to work on their home audio system. She thought "wow, that guy is gorgeous" but never even talked to him. Went off to school the next year, went on living her life, and then the next summer was nannying at a different house. The owner of the house had someone coming to work on their stereo, and when he got there...same guy. She thought "wow, what a crazy coincidence!" But still nothing happened. She spent a semester of school in Europe, met a guy, they started dating, and he was supposed to be coming to visit her the next summer. Well, right before he got there, she and a friend went out to a bar, and guess who was there...

She ended up calling the Europe guy the next day and telling him not to come. And she and her now-husband have been married for I think four years now.

9. NICKP2009

NICKP2009 New Member

wow novelist...that's truly fate!!! AMAZING!

10. hiddennovelist

That's what I said when they told me!

They told us the story, and then Joel was like "wow...our story sounds so lame now."

11. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Gives me hope ;)

LOL...

gosh guys...those were fun reads!!If a romance novelist got all this data..the books they could write with it! *goes off to brainstorm*

LOL..I'd tell my story with my "one month" ex, but it's sort of long...and stale...

I think I'll come back to this place once I get a new guy for me.

*starts serious boy-hunting*

12. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Met my daughter's mum at band practice. She came and watched us once.
    I don't really know when I'll meet my other for sure. I'll probably end up moving to another country and meet a local beauty there. Yeah, that sounds good.

13. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    A nice natural Italian beauty,or someone like that, eh? ;)

Good luck :cool:

14. hiddennovelist

Lol, I can't wait for that story, Rob. ;)

15. Lavarian

That could work. I've sort of got my heart set on a couple other possibilities for countries to move to though. :p

Or if I can find an exotic beauty here, that would work out alright too. I'd still love to move to another country though. I dig the exotic look. Combine that with an accent and I'm happy as a clam.

16. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

*parcels off a bundle of Indian women*

They've got a return ticket attached to them. Return them anytime you find out why they won't work :p

17. Lavarian

Best. Parcel. Ever.

18. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The story of how I got to meet my girlfriend would be quite the tale, but no one would probably believe it. There was a weekend tryst near a historic battleground. There's even a villain, and a nighttime departure to escape a monster, murder threats, and arson, and protection by state agencies.

But it's a story that will never see print.

19. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I'd like to read your autobiography, Cog. :)

20. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

You know Ash, when I met Dan I wasn't looking for anything at all. I was perfectly happy as a single mother. Tried a couple of relationships, but before anything happened, I just knew I wasn't ready and lost some great friends because of it. I think the reason why it worked with Dan was because he was doing the same thing I was for 2 years, just looking for someone to have an itellectual conversation with and someone he could chat to about writing. It was just one of those relationships that made itself and we didn't even realise it was happening.

And I know of quite a lot of people here in Australia who are in relationships with people from many other countries. Though not all met the same way Dan and I did, but their stories are quite interesting and really sweet. It is amazing how many Australians are with people from other countries now. Maybe we just can't stand ourselves! LOL!

21. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Lolol. It was the same with Matt and I, I have to say. We just got on so well and neither of us had any idea that we'd be so good for eachother. I was still with a horrible person when I started talking to Matt, so It never entered my head. (Even though I did fancy matt because he's a cutie, but I didn't wanna admit it at the time :p) We made sure that we didn't get 'romantic' or anything on the internet because we didn't want to waste time and emotion unless we were going to meet and make things work. So, instead we just met up as friends, but it turned out that I absolutley adored him the minute I saw him and had a really fun day with him. I never ever would have dreamed that I'd end up being his girlfriend and be seeing him all the time when I first started talking to him on here.

I think it's easier to find love when you aren't looking sometimes...but other times, if you dont go anywhere where it's likely you'll find somebody with similar interests (I.e, us lot with the writing), then it becomes harder.

That's why I never understood why some intelligent, creative people, go to a drunken nightclub hoping to find their true love. I mean sure, it could happen, but it's hardly the ideal environment to find common interests if you aren't that type of person to begin with. (It's not impossible though! sometimes you can target somebody with common interests in the strangest places and find yourself talking with them all night)

22. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Exactamenundo, chica! I really dont like it when all someone is interested in the moment he meets you is how good you'd be as a potential mate. Not only is it definitely the wrong approach to take, but it backfires, duh! It creeps me out and makes me want to run far, far away...

23. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Wow these stories are sooo cute and awesome

to bad I got no story to share :(

24. Atma

Atma New Member

My "story" is a bit embarrassing really, because it makes me seem like an unstable crazy person :S But seeing as pretty much all of my friends, his friends, parents everyone have asked before, it wouldnt hurt to tell it for the 102nd time.

I was walking my bunny rabbit (Rufus) in the park (on a lead, and the park was bout 1 min walk from my place) and was wearing my winnie the pooh pajamas. Yes, I know...
    He was wearing a suit with a tie and everything, looking very neat and tall and walked his dog (a golden retreiver) through the park. He had just come home from work and hadn't changed out of his nice clothes before taking the quick walk.
    His dog wanted to sniff my rabbit, but I picked him up so he wouldnt get hurt :)
    Then he came over and said sorry. He was SOOOO handsome (sorry, but it's true). And he asked, "is that really a rabbit". And me, getting that question every day (it gets old) said "It's just a grass eating dog". But with a smile, didnt want to be rude xD
    So he said bye, and left.

A few days later, it was a saturday, I was wearing normal clothes whilst walking my bun-bun (walking bunnies with a lead is not uncommon in my country, just for the record) and he came along again with his dog. He was wearing regular clothes too. Guess I felt more at ease. So he asked my name and wanted me to walk with him for a bit, so I picked up Rufus and strode along with him for a while until rufus started wriggling and wanted down. Then he asked my phone number, but i didnt know my phone number! Because I had just arrived in the UK and just got my new phone, and UK phone-numbers are soooo long and hard to remember!
    So I just gave him my msn...
    And thats that :D

25. Atma

Atma New Member

Oh, I dunno why but it got posted twice. And forgot to add this all happened last year.