1. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Humor depending on point of view

Discussion in 'Point of View, and Voice' started by punkyeleven, Jul 11, 2019.

Hello, so I've come upon some very annoying problem. When I write story in first person I can write humor very easily: it's usually sarcastic comments of the main protagonists about themselves or the surrondings, but I can write some situations too. But when I write in a third person it dissapears. I can't think of anything funny to write.

I'm making this thread because currently I'm working on young adult story written in third person, but I want it to have some funny elements. But so far there are almost none and I can't think of anything, but also I don't want to force any humor. Anybody have any idea how to solve this problem?

2. The Mink

The Mink Member

There is actually a trick for that (I had a similar problem but the other way around)
    Write it in the first person (roughly) and then go through and switch PoV, but keep all the dialog/ thoughts etc still in.
    Once you have done that for a couple of scenes, you are able to do it without actually putting it down on paper first.
    I did occasionally drop into the wrong PoV when first drafting, but that generally solved it for me.

AndieBoDandy likes this.
  3. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Thank you, I'll try it immediately! I hope it works ❤️

The Mink likes this.
  4. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Please let us know?