1. Humour Whiffet

Humour Whiffet Banned

I bet I'm a faster reader than you are

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Humour Whiffet, Feb 13, 2010.

Does anyone else get annoyed by what I call “reading braggers”? You know the sort. They love to boast about how many pages they can read in so little time. And that’s impressive, why?

You wouldn’t eat at a Michelin-starred restaurant and then wolf down the entire menu as quickly as possible. It’s not a race.

Surely a well-written sentence should be savoured as if it were a well-cooked main course? Or is it just me?

(That said, I did once read The Brothers Karamazov during my one-hour lunch break, and still had time to go out and buy coffee.)

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I completely agree. Reading for me is a leisurely activity and shouldn't be rushed. Though I have the ability to read fast, I prefer to slow down and properly absorb each sentence- often pausing to go back and read dialogue and witty sentences that I liked over again.

A nice, flowing prose helps as well. ;)

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I'm with you guys. I read pretty quickly, especially if it's something I've read several times, but if it's something I'm enjoying or trying to understand, I like to slow down and really pay attention to each word.

Joel likes to mock me about that when we're reading something at the same time.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I get much more enjoyment from hiking along the seacoast than by driving along the coastal highway. I still see the same sights, but they don't have the same impact.

5. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I prefer to speed-read school textbooks. That being said, I do read leasurily (I know I spelled that wrong) otherwise.

6. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I enjoy taking my time to read. A good story deserves the time it takes to savor the meat of the story. Another thing, I am big on learning the characters, often I will go back and read up on each one just to make sure I didn't miss anything. :)

7. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Pretty sure I am a slow reader. but I really don't care. I just want to enjoy the story.

8. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Yes. and I can't stand braggers. Farrout - no body cares how fast you can read, or how many books you get through in a year. I don't think how fast you read implies a higher degree of intelligence or a more interesting personality in the first place, so I don't understand why people bother mentioning it.

9. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

Let me play Devil's advocate.

Why do you let petty, otherwise insignificant people bother you so much?

It's far too stereotypical to ask if you dislike them simply because you're jealous. Whether true or not, it's not a fair argument since you can't prove you're not. Still, I wonder why you care whether or not somebody else is proud, even annoyingly so, that they can read so quick. And if it comes to the point that it bothers you or anyone else then I wonder why it is you are unable to ignore the problem? Just because somebody is talking to you does not mean that you have to listen, or that you have to justify their existence.

That being said, I hate those people too.

10. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Being able to read through course materials quickly IS a useful gift--but only if you remember later what you've read.
    And people who brag about something that comes naturally to them are a pain.

11. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

This made me think of my sister in law. I asked her if she would mind reading my novel, to see if she liked it or if she saw any glaring issues. She said "Let me read this series first, then I'll get to it." the next day, she said "I finished the series, I'll start yours now."
    Seriously, you read a series in a day? I said "Thank you 'Will Hunting', I look forward to your review in 30 minutes."

I don't see the need to brag, it's like those kids in school who'd get mad if you took to long to read a passage so they could get to recess faster.

12. lessa

lessa New Member

It isn't something to brag about.
    My husband and both our sons are speed readers.
    Not so good when it comes to buying books. expensive to say the least.
    The only time it did me any great good was in college. I was told to take an english class that was reading and discussing the passages. I hated that kind of stuff so he put it on the projector and I was done as he had the last sentence up waiting for the class to finish. He said read it and I told him I was done. He sneered and gave me the questions so I answered them and they were all correct.
    I got excused from taking the class.
    Reading fast was for me just a fact of life. When I was caught reading my father would tell me I was lazy and should be doing something constructive so I learned to read fast so I could finish before I was caught at it.
    Wonder what his feelings would be if he learned that I was writing for children. would he be proud or just think I was helping others to be lazy as well.
    oh will never know now and don't really care as long as children like what I write.
    it isn't the speed you read at. It is how much you enjoy what you are reading.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yeah, right!... the cliff's notes edition............

what annoys me even more are those on sites like these, who brag about how fast they can write, ignoring the fact that what they turn out so quickly is unmarketable garbage that will take at least ten times that long to get it up to submission minimums [if they're capable of doing that]...

14. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Hahahaha.

That is SO true.

15. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

In my defence, I only rush-write a first draft to get ideas down on paper. After that it's meticulous building and crafting which takes bloody hours.

Anyway, on topic, I know read a lot and can read fast, but tend not to anymore - there's just no point, and I may as well savour every word I can unless it's a book I hate and just want to be over. Although I did read the final 4 Harry Potters in a day each... ;)

16. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

When I'm eager to read a book, I read it fast. I went to the Harry Potter midnight parties for the last 3 books and I devoured them that night and the next day, and went back to read them slower after I was done. Some books I will savor, others I will devour--it just depends on the story, I guess. :)

17. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Same here. I burned through the Harry Potter books right after they came out, but it was only because I wanted to get to the end and know what happened as fast as I could. Also, I knew I was going to be reading them again. If it were a book I wasn't sure when I would be reading again, I would probably have read them more slowly.

18. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I couldn't agree with you more maia. I have seen how long it takes to create a story of publication quality and I can see how a writer can become a bit of a hermit. Dan spends months and months writing novels, and then has the editing to do which also takes months. It's taken him almost a year with one novel from start to finish. I think it is why I appreciate it when he writes short stories. Because they take far less time.

As for speed readers, it doesn't bother me either way really. If someone wants to brag, they aren't hurting me. I take ages to read a novel and it annoys Dan as he finishes them a lot quicker. But the main thing is that you are enjoying what you are reading.