1. shushubytheshore

shushubytheshore New Member

I can't decide on a title. Help!

Discussion in 'Romance' started by shushubytheshore, Apr 13, 2020.

Hello everybody! So I'm publishing my story chapter by chapter so before I start publishing, I need to come up with a title. I've asked friends, made sure my ideas weren't copies, and even did a poll. However, the most popular title....well, I dislike it.

For reference: My story's a multiplot romance story with a strong coming-of-age subplot and deals with complex relationship and internal issues

The title most people like is "3 paths to love." And while this obviously fits with the 3 different plots I follow, I find that it's a bit too basic and gives the feeling that my story is a straightforward one with low stakes.

I was thinking of going for the more allusive title "Parks Bloom All Year." Which I feel has more mystery and allows for more drama (plus, the 3 mc's last name is Park)

That being said, Idk if I should listen to the poll results (since most voters are in my target audience) or go with my choice and risk it?

dbesim likes this.
  2. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

Well, ultimately it's up to you and if you don't like 3 paths to love then you don't like it. That being said if your voters are your target audience and they voted for 3 paths to love then that's marketing research. Your market is saying they love "3 paths to love" and if you want to pull in more readers then you go with the market.

The question here is whether you want more readers or if you want to stay true to your vision.

Maybe the difference between how readers who'll read a story called "3 paths to love" and "Parks Bloom All Year" is neglible enough that it doesn't matter what title you choose. Maybe only some people will be interested in a story called "3 paths to love" and only some people will be interested in "Parks Bloom All Year."

Ultimately, it's up to you.

shushubytheshore likes this.
  3. Oxymaroon

Oxymaroon Contributor Contributor

Are those the only choices?
    Are there parks in the story? Because the name of a specific one might work better. Like 'Central Park Story' or 'It Happened in Hampton Park'.

4. shushubytheshore

shushubytheshore New Member

Those weren't the only two options. But they're the two I'm debating the most again. Since the story is a publish as I go, I could've added more park settings than the few I already had...

5. Yaldabaoth

Yaldabaoth Member

You could try and combine them perhaps? 'Three Paths in the Park', or something to that effect?

Oxymaroon likes this.
  6. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Call it "Paths to Love".

7. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Maybe stupid but what about "Untitled" or something like:

"________________________" (you decide the title!)

Just because it's never been done (as far as I know) and it might be interesting?

8. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

@shushubythestore. It’s a bit difficult to decide on a title for your entire novel based on the vague description of the OP. We don’t even know their names. When it comes down to it it should be your decision to make. At random: Rosie’s Blooming Love Story.