1. Mari Harper

Mari Harper New Member

I Don't Know How to End my Story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Mari Harper, Jan 9, 2018.

I've been writing for years, but I have a tendency to write the chapters out almost as episodes of a series, and eventually I get to "Season 3" and I have no idea how to cut it off so it doesn't turn into a "Slice of Life" fiction, rather than the Adventure genre I'm aiming for.

One example is in one of my fanfictions. The general plot of the story has been resolved, and the bad guy vanquished, but I don't know how to wrap the story up cleanly. There are little secondary arcs that are left unresolved and don't get a clear ending (Some of the minor characters being reunited with their families, for example), but to add those onto the ending makes it feel like it's being dragged on needlessly.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Writing for tv is different than writing novels. I think the way you go about them is different. And chapters are not episodes. Your chapters should be building to something greater. Chapters don't need to reach the same kind of conclusion an episode does. So, how far along are you? I hope your reference means you are on chapter three. Rather than think of an ending, think of the most exciting climax you can imagine for these characters and this story. If you have finished the story, why keep it going. Very rarely is life or a story tied up in a fancy bow.

3. Fiender_

Fiender_ Active Member

I think it's important to mention, not every minor plotline needs a conclusion. Or at least, a major one. In a final 'epilogue' chapter (don't have to call it an epilogue, just using that word because it's easy), you can have your main character recollect on their life a year or so after the climax. "Supporting characters A+B tried to make their relationship work out, but they just didn't mesh well. And character C went off to finally find her long lost father. Haven't heard from her since." etc.

Rosacrvx likes this.
  4. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

I don't think wrapping those up is needless. These seem to be exactly the type of secondary plot closures that are expected in a denouement chapter.

5. Mari Harper

Mari Harper New Member

I'm not purposely writing as episodes, it just feels like that sometimes. Especially when the stories start to get longer and it starts to feel like it's a "Villain of the Chapter" kind of deal.

6. Mark Lemohr

Mark Lemohr Member

A tough one for sure! I always write a few different endings and then try them out on test readers to see which one wraps things up the cleanest. Of course you need to choose test readers carefully and make them swear to be brutally honest with you. There is always another way to end a story, I just try not to sweat it. Just keep playing with the scenarios until it unlocks itself for you. Happy writing! Mark Lemohr