1. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

I feel Original

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Unlucky#7, Jun 2, 2011.

So...clicking on the forum I suddenly got this huge sensation...what is it? Unoriginality? A tad bit awkward. Haha, oh well. This is where we all begin to create our individuality as authors.

2. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

Yup, best place to develop your technique before you think about publishing! That's certainly what I'm doing! Hello!

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome to the forums.

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Welcome. :)

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Welcome!

6. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

Haha, thanks for all the welcomes. I gotta say, this is also so great in that everyone types correctly! My English teacher would be so proud...

7. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

Hi,
    no need to feel anything but ambition. Let it drive you and you'll find your way around.
    What about your works?

8. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

I'm actually currently working on something - a novel actually. At least I've been trying to work on it. This forum has already proven a big help when it comes to brainstorming and really getting my ideas down on paper - something that I've been dragging on for a while. Not to mention this forum is great for motivational purposes.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Number Seven, Welcome to the Creative Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Writing Workshop before you try to post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here anyway. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Writing Workshop, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Writing Workshop, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. We also impose a two-week waiting period before you may post writing for critique, to give you time to become familiar with what is expected and how the site operates. The Writing Workshop forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Writing Workshop forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

10. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

So what books do you like and how do they really inspire you?

11. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

I actually enjoy a variety of books from The Kite Runner, Catcher in the Rye to Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, and to many different fantasies and mysteries: Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and TA Barron's books being among them. Haha, and I actually remember Nancy Drew books are what got me into reading and writing when I was really little. And I mean every book inspires me. They have always served as a means for escape, a portal into another world. I mean, you get to go to places you have never even dreamed of and books really do take you into that world in ways movies can't. I don't know, I guess every book inspires me to tell the story I've been dreaming. I don't only want to imagine it. I want to be able to see it and be there through words.

12. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

I think that we who write fiction do find a lot of satisfaction we can escape from this world into another. I like to write mine because I have so much liberty as to what I will include into my world and compose it exactly as I like it.
    Have you ever come across of anything by Terry Goodkind?

13. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

And I completely agree. Everything illogical or unreal becomes real in writing. And it's amazing to see what we can create and equally as amazing to see what others have created. And, like you say, very satisfying.

And the name Terry Goodkind rings a bell...I might have had a friend who read something of his and mentioned it to me.

14. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

A friend of mine got to read a piece of my work and he said I write in the same style as him but I have never seen any of his books.
    Anyways, it seems that your way of writing would be more depending on your vocabulary than your storytelling skills. Pulling people in requires a careful choice of words...
    Also, fiction is a great tool for those who want to write about subject they can't really understand. Though I'm a guy I'm writing a story about a girl and when something seems rather unreal I can always get away with it because I say it's just a fiction :D
    What gender do you pick for your heroes?

15. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

Oh gosh..my english teacher told me one of my weaknesses is diction. Haha, well that's definitely something I have to work on. Thank God Microsoft Word has synonyms... ;)

Now as for my heroes, I tend to make them females..haha, I'm not sure why, I think it's because - see, in real life most girls really annoy me. I tend to get along with guys more and I guess I enjoy writing about a girl because I can create her into someone I would like. I have yet to create a male hero...haha. Someday I plan to though :)

16. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

Ah, alright. I was just asking because plenty of authors make their heroes like themselves.
    I just don't want to make a male hero because then he would be like me and I'm sooo boring. :D

17. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

Haha, that's probably not true! But, yes, I totally see where you're going with that. At one time or another I used to base the heroine off of me - or who I would want to be. But then, I don't know, at some point I thought "No, I want to give this character her story. I want to create someone, not myself." And I mean at times my personal influence comes through my character, but it doesn't own her, know what I mean?

18. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

Hello *waves*

I just joined this forum too, last week actually. I feel a little out of place saying 'welcome' when I'm still exploring it haha but, welcome to the forum anyway! ;) I've just commented on one of your threads, I feel like we have quite a bit in common :p perhaps it can help by identifying with each other's drawbacks.

See you around the board!

19. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

Haha, hi to you too! Don't worry, I've only been a member for about a day, and I'm welcoming people because I find it quite the sport. :p

Anyway, yes! It's great to find someone you can relate to. See ya around! :)

20. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

While it's great to find people with same interests I found forums to be a bit slow for conversations. They're good for feedback and research but for conversations it's better to just chat in messengers.

21. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

Haha, I understand. But since this is my "welcoming post" I'm sure it's alright if a few conversations come up.