1. Lolly Inkstain

Lolly Inkstain Member

I Hate Introductions, But Here Goes...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lolly Inkstain, Jun 26, 2019.

Hello!

I am a bit nervous about introductions, I've learnt the hard way not to divulge anything too personal on public forums.

So what should I say.

Well, I've been writing stories and compiling research for a number of purposes, since I was a wee child. I learnt to read when I was three. Books have been my passion throughout my entire life.

Books don't judge you, they don't care if you spend all day in your pyjamas, they don't give you side-eye for finishing off the doughnuts, they only want to be picked up and read. The ideal friend, lover and room mate, really.

Currently, I am hoping to make a real go of a speculative novel based on Britain going to hell in a hand basket, post Brexit. I don't want to say more than that because if I'm lucky enough, then I need to make something from this conceptual book.

I'm an unintentional homebody; gone are the days when I could travel round and adventure at my will. I have several chronic illnesses and am apparently unemployable. So my artwork and my writing are a means of escape, distraction, and hopefully also: income.

I am joining this forum in hope of gaining some organisational skills and motivation. I have ADHD but am currently unmedicated, I find it extremely hard to knuckle down, stay focussed. So I need some handholding and to chat to people who manage to adult better than I do.

It's nice to meet you all, I've no idea if anyone reads these introductions, but well done if you read this far.

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I hope you'll find this a friendly and helpful place, and we sure aren't going to judge you (maybe just envy you a wee bit) for sitting around in your pajamas, pyjamas, PJs, or that little thing that arrived in a plain brown wrapper.

If you haven't, be sure to check out New Member Quick Start and Forum Rules. We're pretty relaxed around here, but there are a few things you don't want to bump up against.

As far as this goes:

Yeah, well... I dunno if we can help you there :) But we'll try! So get comfy, wander around, drop into pretty much anything that strikes your fancy, and if you have any questions or problems, drop a pm to me or one of the other mods that you'll see roving around from time to time and we'll do our best to help you out.

3. Lolly Inkstain

Lolly Inkstain Member

Trust me, its not to be envied, I'm so desperate for a job and some meaning in my life. It's 1am and without another medication I need but can't currently get, I cannot make myself sleep. I'm sitting here feeling melancholic about everything. It's awfully tempting to self medicate tonight!

I shall have a look.

DAAAMMMMMMMMN I was sooooo hoping someone else could be the adult please don't ever pass me the adulting-baton, it's not a strength of mine, haha.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

WooHoo! Welcome fellow ADHD sufferer (actually, we both know how ADHD sucks and so does adulting.)
    I can't stand the feeling of clothes at all, so no jammies. Otherwise, it sounds like we're both evil twins! I never wrote anything for near of fifty years, until this recurring nightmare nearly drove me sane! So here I am, unemployable as well, tapping out this elephant at 4 to 7 wpm. It's all about the story, so I'm happy to commiserate with you on our lack of focus, or organizational skills :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. Lolly Inkstain

Lolly Inkstain Member

Sensory Processing issues? I can't be naked much, I have to have certain things on. Admittedly the main reason I wear jammies is because otherwise the top underside of my arms stick to my ridiculously sized ladylumps (is that permitted to be said, here?) and when I move, the skin rips away painfully and I get bruises. I absolutely hate the feeling of skin on skin. Yesterday, I decided that women should be born as hairy all over as some men are. Because it's wonderful for creating a barrier! Please tell me I'm not the only weirdo who gets thoughts like these.

Some Guy likes this.
  6. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Friendly mod hat on: Yep, you can say that here. One thing we don't do is offer or ask for medical or psychiatric help or advice, but as long as you're only telling people that you have a certain condition, you're in the clear.

Mod hat off.

If women were as hairy as men (and I'm on the medium to high end of the scale) I'd be... intensely ambivalent*. If they were as hairy as, say, cats, dogs, or guinea pigs though, that would be pretty cool. The thought of spending the afternoon just brushing Mrs. A the way I used to do to my cats...

*on the other hand, if women were as hairy as men, it would be because we as a species had evolved that way, and largely-hairless women would be pretty far into fetish territory.

[​IMG]

7. Lolly Inkstain

Lolly Inkstain Member

Excellent. Why is my writing blue, how do I undo that

What kind of MOD hat is it, Stetson, cap, Fedora, beanie.... I'm a beanie and backwards cap (not at the same time) person.

I have a friend who has to blow-dry his body after a bath or shower. Pretty extreme hairy level. But it didn't used to make me want to run a comb through it.

8. Some Guy

:superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh:

That would est moi! Lol
    Maybe that's why clothes feel so awful! :/

Cave Troll and DK3654 like this.
  9. Lolly Inkstain

Lolly Inkstain Member

It could very well be! I absolutely cannot deal with leg hairs it gets caught on everything and hurts (sensory thing again). So it stands to reason that this could also occur on the rest of the body.

Are you actually a teddy bear in disguise as a human? Hmm, I'm not thinking I might have to make one of my characters extra hairy. I'm trying to work on keeping my characters diverse whilst still being realistic to the situation. Hairy isn't a hindrance to the storyline.

Some Guy likes this.
  10. Some Guy

Lol
    In TNT, I'm working on a garment that would address all issues but one. Nudity! :D

Lolly Inkstain likes this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I've got this horrible bald spot....

...in the middle of my back.

12. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Propeller Jacaru.

Some Guy and Lolly Inkstain like this.
  13. Lolly Inkstain

Lolly Inkstain Member

Bald spot vs bald face

Actually, I reckon there's more hair on my partner's bald spot than I have on my face right now

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  14. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well, I just bopped in here to do my Moderator-Welcome-The-New-Member thing, and lo ...lots have been here before me—including my fellow Mod, Iain Aschendale. And I have to say, this is one of the most entertaining member introductions I've read in a while. :) You'll do, @Lolly Inkstain. You've already got us interested. I suspect you're already a good writer. I like what you said about having made up stories since you were a wee girl. So you'll always have stories in your head. That's a huge leap forward.

I very much look forward to seeing you here, on various threads, while you find your Forum Feet. Do have fun, and a very big welcome from me as well.

Cheers, Jan

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  15. Lolly Inkstain

Lolly Inkstain Member

That's really sweet of you.

I have a foundation degree in English, History and Creative Writing. My creative pieces had my classmates in stitches. So, I'm hoping my serious work comes good.

You'll all be sick of me very, very shortly, my quirks and "charisma" (aka annoying ditzy adhd brain stuff) tend to be full on. I can only apologise in advance, and please be gentle with me. My social skills are appalling (otherwise I'd be trying to engage in an actual creative writing group in real life).

I've learnt quite a lot today, from you lovely people here. I admit, a lot of the Kindle stuff is going straight over my head. This is where I need someone to speak to in real time about it. But that would involve proper social interaction and sod that

Some Guy and flawed personality like this.
  16. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superhello:
    Well I am late to this party, and we've met already.

Good luck and have fun. :supersmile:
    :superidea:
    TakeThis.jpg

17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I'm always curious as to how you determine who the really tough new members are who need nothing but a shark to defend themselves here, and who needs the extra protection afforded by a tiny kitten.

Because you are rarely wrong. :)

18. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    IDK, it must be a gift. :p

19. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I'm pretty sure that is how a lot of us members feel here on WF, so I think you are in good company there. :p

Cave Troll and Lolly Inkstain like this.
  20. Lolly Inkstain

Lolly Inkstain Member

Ermergerd, but I'm really allergic to cats

And re the not wanting to have to be social, I don't actually meet or speak to many people who aren't phone phobic, suffering some level of anxiety, and/or not into social situations.

I used to be. Years ago. I've met a hell of a lot of the wrong people and rubbed them up the wrong way by being myself, and learnt to hide myself away. I have a card to show people which says I have difficulty talking and give me time. Yet I'm also a chatterbox. Depends on the situation and the people.

I don't think I've ever had this much action on a forum introductions post before. I feel kind of bashful, but in a good way

21. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

@Cave Troll gives cats to everybody. You might prefer a reptile of some sort, like a cute chameleon? They're good for allergy sufferers.

Screenshot 2019-06-28 at 10.31.08.png

Mind you, that one isn't doing such a hot job of camouflage....

22. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

I'll just add another welcome to the list... welcome!

NC

23. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Welcome!!!!
    I can add to the ADHD sufferers as I have been most of my life.
    I self medicated for years, but found if I overload myself with work it seemed to give the 'attention deficit' part of me a place to go for a while.
    I've mentioned on this forum before that I've had over a hundred jobs and twenty-nine different trades. Finishing something still makes me sick to my stomach but now I'm able to work through it.....Good luck on you project.

Alan Aspie and Lolly Inkstain like this.
  24. Lolly Inkstain

Lolly Inkstain Member

Cheers guys, and re the chameleon - they're one of my favourite creatures. I'm rather a chameleon in personality.

Re the ADHD, yes it's the finishing things which is hard. I hyperfocus on things, get really immersed, then rapidly lose all interest entirely. So I cycle hobbies - art, writing, crochet... And I'll get heavily into a subject and research it to death; I should be well known for my in depth YouTube documentary researching!

Thundair and jannert like this.
  25. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I too am guilty of this, which is why my workshop entries stalled at 16 pieces some time last year.
    I can hyperfocus on photography, which means the usual 75 minute walk home can easily turn into a 4+ hours endeavour if I have the camera. :rolleyes:
    I also cycle hobbies. Baking, writing, photography, crafting, sewing. Sometimes I'll throw in something new just to keep me entertained. :p

Cave Troll and Thundair like this.