I have a question about Drugs. :-/

Discussion in 'Research' started by cutecat22, May 12, 2014.

1. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Last year I threw out my back and was given Tramadol and Diclofenac so that I could work through it. I took way way less than what was prescribed (with the Dr's blessing to save remaining tablets and self medicate in the future) so I was only taking two 50mg diclofenac during the day and one tramadol before bed.

Last week, I don't know why but my back was giving me hell! In the space of three hours I took two diclofenac and one tramadol. Cue dry mouth, empty head, very tired and two days to recover. I can't say I enjoyed it but at least my back didn't hurt!

2. cutecat22

I would be so scared of becoming addicted!

3. cutecat22

You guys are an absolute mine of information! I seriously wish I could keep you all in my pocket for future reference! :friend:

4. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Are you saying marijuana is a psychedelic? Perhaps the engineered kind is, but before that, back when I used to smoke it, it was always considered a euphoric.

I think I saw an alltime10 on YT that covered top 10 more powerful strains and one of them had hallucinations as an effect. I thought, wtf? Really?

BTW, I don't know what psychedelics are going around these days, but in my days, we had microdots, blotters (Saturn, Micky Mouse) and shrooms, all of which I've done, but I didn't really like the effect. It made by skin feel sickly moist but emaciated as well. Clammy but warm? It's hard to describe, but I've had major illnesses that made my skin feel somewhat like the effect I had while tripping.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  5. yagr

yagr Senior Member

I'm a recovering addict with twenty-two years clean. If you have any specific questions about specific drugs, ask away - here or PM if you prefer; I have no preference. Oh, my drug of choice was 'more' so I've got a pretty wide range of experience.

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I think someone gave you something that wasn't pot. ;)

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  7. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

No, it was, we just didn't do all this crazy stuff of mixing it with other things.

Hmmm...they call hashish resin? Back in our days, hashish was hashish (black and blonde are the two I've had, but I've heard of red as well), resin was the tar left on the stem of the pipe.

Keep in mind Ginger, this was back in 79-89, before they started engineering weed.

8. sylvertech

sylvertech Active Member

It was pure Lebanese hash. And I overdosed a lot.

9. sylvertech

sylvertech Active Member

Yeah. I didn't really develop a taste though I tried some many times.
    The only thing I almost got psychologically hooked up on was hash.

10. sylvertech

sylvertech Active Member

Hash is made from the resin from the marijuana plant.
    That is what I meant.

11. WeWill77

WeWill77 New Member

Erowid.org That place will be your haven for this.

But my first suggestion is to write from personal experience. Seriously. But don't do them with a stranger or someone who does them irresponsibly. You might not be able to find a trustworthy person. You might not be able to try them. You might have to rely on erowid/any other source of testimonials/personal stories. But, as it is with any experience you try to write about, if you haven't tried it you really won't be able to do the subject justice.

And my biggest piece of advice is this: DO NOT TRUST ANY URBAN LEGEND. These are usually stereotypes that show disdain for the casual drug user and a profound level of ignorance. It's on a similar level as some white guy who's never left Nebraska trying to write about Africa.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    sylvertech and cutecat22 like this.
  12. WeWill77

WeWill77 New Member

Drug classifications will never be accurate until true scientific research is carried out and consensus is reached. There's not much research being done about the psychoactive affects of marijuana because of its legal status in the US. We really have no idea which, if any, of those claims are true.

Don't believe the headlines, the one-liners, the eye-catching adjectives... i.e. sensationalism. There's so much garbage information out there that I really don't recommend writing about drugs without having had those experiences. Unfortunately, there really isn't any science to tell us what they do.

But it's too dangerous to really suggest doing it. I haven't tried all the drugs I want to just because I can't trust the source or I can't trust the people who'd take them with me.

sylvertech likes this.
  13. cutecat22

I have had the same thoughts about research for a long time, if you haven't experienced it, odds are there is someone you know that has but there are certain things that I have not tried, refuse to try and don't know anyone that's tried it. Things like drugs, murder, firing a gun (I'm working on the firing a gun one) crashing a car, breaking a bone (mine or someone else's), having an iguana as a pet, wearing leather thigh-high boots and a basque to a night club, flying a plane, drinking beer and lots more beside so I have no choice but to go to multiple websites/books and other sources of research.

I do believe that experience is the best kind of research but what I'm working on now, is fiction and I'm not going to not put a certain scene in my book or stop writing simply because I want to include something that I've never experienced.

14. cutecat22

Thanks for the Erowid site, someone else had mentioned that too. It looks a good site for info so thanks x

15. WeWill77

WeWill77 New Member

I just want to say proceed with caution because there's already so many negative stereotypes associated with the recreational drug user that really don't need to be fed.

Edit: I don't mean to say that you would or want to portray these people negatively. I do know, from experience, that it's a very common pitfall to find and run with one of these stereotypes and not recognize, at first, that that's what it is. I know from my closest friends and family, teachers, doctors, and just about everybody I've met.

Maybe this can be a guideline: don't let the person become the drug. Don't let the fact they're on acid or whatever define their existence. Even for a moment. In that person's head, they're still the same person.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    cutecat22 and sylvertech like this.
  16. sylvertech

sylvertech Active Member

deleted

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    cutecat22 likes this.
  17. maidahla

maidahla Active Member

You guys sound so perky. lol

sylvertech likes this.
  18. cutecat22

both excellent points! Thank you!

sylvertech likes this.
  19. WeWill77

WeWill77 New Member

I think Sylvertech's response captures the complexity of the issue much better than anything I wrote. Props.

It also opens up a deep psychological discussion that transcends the topic of drug use. More props.

cutecat22 and sylvertech like this.