1. MackenzieGirl

MackenzieGirl Banned

I Have First Hand Information on: Mental health issues, PTSD, Rape, Suicide Attempt(s), Horses, and

Discussion in 'Research' started by MackenzieGirl, Jul 9, 2018.

• I can give information on mental health issues (I have personal experience as a care giver), dealing with PTSD (both as a care giver, and as the one effected.), Dealing with rape (as a family member), dealing with suicide attempt(s) by a family member, (also from personal experience, with a family member), ER proticall for the above.
    I also know a lot about horses and horseback riding. I have been riding for over 10 years. And have see a lot.

Magus likes this.
  2. Magus

Magus Banned

What would it feel like to ride a horse for the first time with no training? How quickly would you surmise it would take for the rider to be overwhelmed and in danger?

3. MackenzieGirl

MackenzieGirl Banned

It would help if you could tell me the time period. In many ways it would depend on the horse. You should never put a beagener on a untrained horse, that would end in disaster. Even an experiment rider should be careful, the brother of my MC is paralyzed in a fall. And he knew what he was doing.

My first time, someone was leading the horse, and it took some time before I was allowed to rider without someone leading my horse.

Magus likes this.
  4. Drinkingcrane

Drinkingcrane Active Member

I think mental health is an extremely important issue and can only bewritten bythose who a direct experience with it or observed it in others. It’s not something you can get our of a book. I look forward to reading what ever you e have on the subject

5. MackenzieGirl

MackenzieGirl Banned

What do you mean?

6. MackenzieGirl

MackenzieGirl Banned

What do you mean?

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Okay. Are you applying for a job or something?

Shenanigator likes this.
  8. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

I agree.

You can get very little out of a book. You can get very much out of big pile of books. Twenty books about something and you are starting to get it. But books must be from different perspectives. Professional clinical, scientific monographs, personal experience, medical, social, psychological, psychiatric...

When you read, you paint a picture in your head. And that picture is often a caricature of reality. First and second hand experience help you get rid of the gap between caricature and reality. And this is the point where story borns.

As long as that gap is there, you don't have a story. You have a cardboard caricature of a story. Cardboard is dead. You can't magic it alive. It might get published, but that does not make it alive.

Life is all about empiria. You need tools to make it visual or textual, but life is your material.

Wanna be a Chef? Use fresh and genuine material. You must know how, when and where you can get it.

Wanna bee a cook? Use cheap and easy material. Don't waste time to improving existing recipes and formulas. Formulas are fixed.

Wanna torture taste buds? There is your microwave oven and here are easy instructions how to warm something industrially processed that looks a bit like food.

9. Drinkingcrane

I have read books where a character is crazy and he was just a cut and pace crazy. I could tell the author has little knowledge of genuine symptoms of mental illness. Mental illness has been well defined by psychiatry and each illness contains different symptoms. Schizophrenia vs mania for example. For example someone my have a character who has schizophrenia and they portray them as talking to them selfs and having multiple personality’s. That is not genuine schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is defined as the sufferer has delusions and hallucinations. For example the schizophrenic may believe that theCIA planted a chip in his brain to control his thoughts. That is a genuine schizophrenic delusion. All I’m saying is do your research to make your portrayal of mental illness genuine. And the best research research Is first hand experience And in my op the actual symptoms of mental illness and much mor facinating then anything that could be made up.there is allot of good information on Wikipedia

Simpson17866 and DK3654 like this.
  10. SapphireLane

SapphireLane New Member

How to people typically react after a family member attempts suicide? Like, are the other family members angry or sad? Do they try to distance themselves or start being over protective of the person? Are things ever the same afterwords? (Don’t have to answer if this is too personal or anything.)

11. Drinkingcrane

If someone in a family attempted suicide I’m sure different people would react differently. I could see someone might get angry or sad. I personally would try to offer emotional support. I would tell the sufferer that I love them and that there family loves them. I would acknowledge their suffering but also tell them that it will end and that suicide will not solve there problems. The problem with this is that if the person is severely depressed they are separated from reality and they wond believe that they are loved and they won’t believe that there suffering will come to an end.

I thing tha t the most common emotion elicited in family and friends by a suicide attempt would be fear. I think much of the interaction between family and friends and the sufferer would be based in fear.