I just got back from my first critique group and ...

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by doggiedude, Apr 15, 2016.

1. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

I am writing a sci-fi/fantasy so I would love to be included in the loop when/if this happens!

2. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Let me start a fresh thread & see if we can gather up two or three other people who'd like to give it a try. I'd like to keep it small if we can have a total of four or five dedicated people.

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

In my writers group we email our stories to each other before we meet. And we tend not to have more than two or three stories to critique for any given meeting. Everyone is very serious about writing and publishing, but we have a lot of fun too. We all get together at someone's house and usually grill while having tasty adult beverages. We all have writing degrees and have been through a million workshops and really tried to create something that would not feel the same as a classroom workshop. A few drinks can take care of that. LOL. But we are serious writers.

When joining or creating a writing group, I think it is important to be among people on a similar level and maybe also have similar writing goals. I feel like I really lucked out with my group. Great writers and great friends.

doggiedude likes this.
  4. Michael Fairbanks

Michael Fairbanks New Member

Wait a minute. That was actually a good question. Where did they get the rocks? I can imagine those old guys, having lived in Florida a long time, wondered about that. And similarly, if one strolls up to the grounds of the capitol building in DC, how likely is he to find rocks suitable for throwing through a window?

Old guy might have had a point about those rockets. ;)

5. doggiedude

Grrrrr.... There was a rock vendor outside, right next to the guy selling the soylent greensickles.

Brindy likes this.
  6. doggiedude

GingerCoffee likes this.
  7. Dearest Mothership

Dearest Mothership Member

Was he across from the guy selling deep-fried Goa'uld symbiotes?

8. DaveLu

DaveLu Member

I completely understand your need to have physical writing in front of you. Personally, I'm able to follow along and visualize things much easier if there's a paper in front of me. I can also go back and connect dots/draw parallels to places earlier in the text. It's much more efficient (to me) to underline a phrase as the reader is reciting his writing, and mark my notes off to the side instead of trying to mark everything down at once. I think the person reading should at least bring a couple copies in case there's anyone in class that wants a written piece. At the same time I understand not printing off some dozen pages per person every class. Some people like to save paper, such was the case with my English professor. Sounds like an interesting bunch though haha

doggiedude likes this.
  9. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

You are sooo funny! :superlaugh:I joined your blog and I can't stop laughing. There are some good reads on there regarding writers worries and how to fix things. There is a lot to learn and think your blog is useful.

10. doggiedude

Thanks

Crybaby likes this.
  11. vermissage

vermissage Member

The writing group I'm part of is very good but for a couple of things. We meet in cafes, or bakeries where we're obliged to buy food and drinks which can add up. Then there's the 8-9 copies I have to make of my writing which should add up to 32 pages of printing. However, because my printer sucks, I invariably end up printing about 13 superfluous pages. I joined the writing group thinking the annual fee of $5 is all that I'm going to incur when in fact it's going cost me about $360 annually.

doggiedude likes this.