1. Hannibal Alexander

Hannibal Alexander New Member

I need a Writing Partner.

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Hannibal Alexander, Apr 3, 2013.

how would you go about finding one?

I took a screenwriting class last semester, and I met somebody really cool... but I truly feel in my bones that he's not really all that serious about writing.

And about a year ago, I posted something on Craigslist looking for a Partner but nothing really came of it.

I will say that my style is really contemporary, very straight forward, more character development and character studies as opposed to anything totally plot-driven. However that's my problem, I think my strength is coming up with believable/interesting characters (that's what I THINK *laugh) and in addition to grammar, punctuation, tense and all those technical issues... I have a problem putting my characters in an interesting storyline.

I'm black, I'm gay, I'm OLD (I'm 33 years old). And I will also say, my aim in most of my writing is stripping down stereotypes. Having a character you THINK you might know, but the character ends up turning into something else that you didn't expect.

What other information should I give out?

I just am starting to doubt my abilities as a writer, and thinking maybe if I partner with the right person we can work on something that could be really amazing.

2. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

I'd recommend posting stuff in the writer's workshop. If you plan on getting it published, then that's another story, but there's a myriad of opinions to be had.
    Also, I lol'd when you said Craigslist, not because it's a bad idea, but from one gay guy to another, craigslist is full of hilarious seediness.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Pfffft.

What kind of partner? Co-authored books brings to mind non-fiction where each author contributes their own research.

4. Hannibal Alexander

either novels... but also scripts.
    I notice co-writing in film is a little more common than novels.
    Ideally I'd want for the partner to be strong in something I'm not strong in, and vice versa. Very "Jerry Maguire" in that we'd "complete" each other as writers.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Forget it.

Collaboration is a minefield under the best of circumstances. Exactly what do you expect to bring to the table that would entice a good writer to partner with you, when you have so little regard for your own ability?

If you want to learn writing, commit to it! You won't learn by taking on a partner, nowhere nearly as well as you will by diving into it headfirst.

6. Hannibal Alexander

I don't know, I guess I'm just sick of "diving". It may not look like it, but I have been writing and writing and writing for the longest time. I would say consistently since about 2002. I have never completed anything though except for a very lame, MTV'esque type of "buddy road trip" movie. And since than, I've taken several Creative Writing/Fiction Writing/Screenwriting classes as well. So it's not like I'm just totally new to this. I'm just losing so much confidence because of the fact that after all that time (damn, 2002... that's 11 frikkin years!)writing still doesn't really feel natural to me.

Cogito. I DO TOTALLY get what you are saying though.

I guess I'm just looking for an easy way out. And who knows, maybe it could turn out successful!?

7. Nee

Nee Member

I write because it's something that comes natural to me; as well as diving into things to find the answer. I am a digger by heart: can't walk past a yard sale, museum, used book store, or a pile of rocks without checking them out. Nor can I watch a TV show or movie without calling out what the next scene will be. I just figured that's what writers did.

It's like the old joke, How many guitar players does it that to screw-in a light bulb?

The answer: 10, one to do it and nine to stand around saying, "I can do that."

8. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Screenwriting collaborations are not rare and can be very successful with the right partnership, as brainstorming character dynamics and plot points can be incredibly productive. Remember, a screenplay is more about plot and character than prose, and a film is never made by one person. Those that poo poo collaboration on screenplays clearly haven't seen it work. That's fine. But the trick to collaboration is finding the right partner and that's the hard bit. You need someone with the same sensibilities and mutual respect. You need to be able to have civilized battles when needed, and eventually find agreement, not compromise. With the right partner it can be exciting dynamite! With the wrong one, you'll be dragged through a frustrating hell. Trust me, Ive done both.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

whoever you write with, be sure to have a collaboration agreement in place before either of you writes a single word...

i mentor aspiring screenwriters, so you may want to consider mentoring instead of a co-writer, so you can learn to write marketable scripts on your own... you can email me for help any time...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com