1. blue0impulse

blue0impulse New Member

I need help developing a reasonable plot time-frame

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by blue0impulse, Jan 10, 2012.

I'm posting a link to my site which contains the link to my story. I'm trying to figure out a reasonable time period for my novel/story to take place.

LINK====>http://blue0impulse.tumblr.com/post/15534200477/writing-help-wanted-i-need-your-opinions-synopsis-in

All opinions welcome, I will answer any questions you may have about the story, plot, characters, ect. It has mature themes and subject manner. It's of psychological/fantasy thriller genre and deals with dreams and dream psychology. Thank you in advance for your help and opinions.

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I'm gonna tell you straight out, you're gonna need to summarise it here. Most forum-goers here don't click off-site. We've actually got a few rules against providing off-site links.

3. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

Because I'm so sweet and kind-hearted, I'm going to summarize it for you, blueimpulse.

Basically it's about a bunch of people whose nightmares manifest themselves in real life through hallucinations etc. He originally meant for it to be a week of nightmares but he felt that he was cramming too much information into a novel so he's asking if he should stretch it out to a month long psycho-marathon.

1 person likes this.
  4. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Then in that case, I suggest the OP read Cujo, the main part of which is set overnight. I mean, stuff happens before that, but the actual main part of the story is over a single night. Or look at something like Shutter Island, which you finish and realise, "Was that really just three days?" (it might have been four. Pretty sure it was three)
    There is no definite length of time for a story's setting. In fact, for something supernatural like this, I personally think it'd be better if it was all focused around a smaller time span.

Thanks pythonforger. You're a gentleman. +rep

5. blue0impulse

blue0impulse New Member

Thank you very much for the help. I apologize for the offsite link, I thought it actually was legal. Since I've come to the conclusion that my story should span for about a week, I'll have a lot of re-writing to do!