1. MissNovember

MissNovember Member

I need help with story ideas

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MissNovember, Jan 13, 2022.

So, I sat down and compiled all the story ideas that I thought of choosing from to write about. I need help in choosing which one is the most interesting and which one would do well. So, here are my story ideas:

#1 -A young therapist goes through great lengths to save a raped and abused little girl from further impending danger (drama)

#2 -After visiting the dentist, a man is driven to homicidal rage after being the unwilling participant in a government experiment. (horror)

#3 - A mysterious rain pours down in a Canadian city, causing a small community of people to turn into homicidal psychopaths (horror)

#4 - four male friends from different racial backgrounds are subjected to two days of torture and abuse after their car breaks down in a sundown town. (horror)

#5 - When an actor becomes terminally ill after his telepathic empath ability connects to one of his fans, he realizes he must find the fan, before too late. (drama/sci-fi/romance)

#6 - An actor and his friend respond to a job on Craigslist and become the victims of an elite organ and blood trafficking cult. (horror)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Alcove Audio likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

i hate to say it but its all in the execution... any of those could make a great story, or a crap one...its about how you write it... also you're not likely to make your fortune with your first story... so just pick one write it, then pick another and another...

that said the second #3 (you realise you've got two right) is basically deliverance so you might want to give that a swerve

3. GoodSeed

GoodSeed Banned

Write the story you'd want to read the most. If you can't decide in that way, here is another way to choose which idea to go forward with. Start an outline for each of your 7 stories, no more than 2 pages each (there is a reason I say only 2). So 14 pages in all. There will be 1 or 2 stories you won't be able to stop writing more about, the thoughts and ideas will just keep coming. Focus on those stories. Discard the rest. Whichever takes you farthest in your thought process, ideas and imagination while plotting an outline is the one you will write best. That my 2 cents.

Xoic and MissNovember like this.
  4. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I like the dentist one because I can imagine the tone being very off the wall. Really violent and fun. I would have there be listening devices in his fillings. But really, the listening device in his tooth is just picking up the listening device in his skull plate. (He was in a motorcycle accident years ago.) And experimenting with that, he can hear other people. And then he realizes it's not people, but something else. That'd be cool.

MissNovember likes this.
  5. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

There’s an old quote about writing- I forget who said it- that goes something like ‘no idea is so poor a gifted writer can’t make something of it, and there is no idea so fantastic a ham handed writer can’t louse it up.’ Ideas are everywhere. I was just reading a news article about a woman in China who traveled to Zhengzhou for a blind date. After she got there, the whole city went into covid lock down and she was stranded; they wouldn’t let her leave. I can see that scenario forming the basis for anything from a romance story to horror to political thriller. There’s a lot of potential. The trick is to pinpoint that potential and capitalize on it.

GoodSeed likes this.