1. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

I need my MC to consume somthing given to him by a stranger

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by AltonReed, Jan 6, 2012.

The main character of my Super Hero story I am writing needs to consume or absorb a substance (Liquid or pill) given to him by a complete stranger to gain his powers.

Most people would never be as stupid to consume anything given to them by a stranger and this person is no different, how can I get him to take this 'Power Pill/Drink'?

2. joanna

joanna Active Member

Some ideas:

-- The stranger switches his aspirin with the magic pill
    -- There is a diet pill/energy pill salesman giving out free samples at some place of business, he gives the MC the magic pill instead
    -- He takes the magic pill while attending a rave (some 'normal' people might do this, I guess)

3. TheIllustratedMan

TheIllustratedMan Active Member

Well, you could go the "Magic Beans" route, I suppose.

Barring that, how important is it that the hero KNOW that he's been exposed to some kind of substance that gives him these powers? It sounds like the other person is purposely giving the hero his powers, so why couldn't he just slip it in a drink, or shoot him with a dart or something?
    Actually, that sounds like a good origin issue (thinking comic books here):

Intelligent young woman who has little-to-no ambition to do anything "meaningful" with her life is kidnapped by mysterious oddball who injects her with some experimental drugs that he's been working on. She's released, slowly realizes her powers, starts doing whatever with them. Mysterious oddball shows up occasionally; they develop a hero/villain relationship, but he always helps her in some way so that she's conflicted about his motives.

Something like that anyway.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

any of the usual ways:

slip it into his drink/food
    duplicate and add it to some other pills/liquid meds he takes regularly
    add it to his shampoo or skin lotion
    inject it surreptitiously as if an insect bite
    coat something he'll touch with it

5. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

I really think you should go with the rave idea like someone mentioned earlier. It would make him not seem perfect like most hero stories make their characters. I also think it would be a cool story if he abused them a bit. But still would try to do the right thing at the end. Kind of like the movie Jumper. Where he didn't really care about using his powers for good. Just his own personal benefit. For example, teleporting inside a bank vault. or eating your lunch on the pyramids. Just enjoy himself. But each to their own. If you want him to be a perfectly good character *cough* cliche. maybe make it so he accidentally took it, thinking it was something else or not knowing it was there at all. Or he took it because he knew it would help him save someone.

6. Granville

Granville New Member

Well, if it's something that can be absorbed then it doesn't have to be orally ingested. You could simply have the stranger approach your character and silently place some mysteriously alluring and substance tainted object in their hand. They reach out tentatively but impulsively and take it, whereupon the substance is absorbed quickly/slowly with or without sensation/event through the palm or fingers?

7. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Fake flu shot?

8. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

Thanks guys, I think I'm working somthing out with your ideas, I like the rave suggestion a lot because this is all about a character's downfall and rise again. So starting off with him doing somthing stupid like taking a strange pill would work disturbingly well actually.

Mind you, he's not exactly a popular character, perhaps he gets peerpressured into it/does it to be cool.

Yeah, as I just said, this isn't a super hero story, this is about a boy with super powers. It's all early stages so far but the powers he consume are forced into his system, so he gets all the basic stuff, but when he becomes a half decent person, he gets more powerful and finally goes up against the bad guy.

So yeah, while he does have to end up as a good person, he has a hell of a ride.

Going with the 'Random drug at a Rave' aproach I think!