I Need Your Help Writing A Scene For My Script

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Your Boy, May 17, 2017.

1. Your Boy

Your Boy New Member

Says you. I still say an informal marriage counts. It never said lt's only a spouse in a formal marriage.

Yes, lt is forbidden, hence the conflict. But being forbidden does not mean lt isn't possible. Otherwise, lt wouldn't be a sin. They could, but should not marry.

Again, with the legality. You're not legally obligated. Forget the law. They are between countries & lt isn't relevant to them. That may be how governments do lt, but the Bible never incorporated that concept. In this case, the Bible is the law & there is no indication that the Bible considers this marriage moot. If there is, then I'll admit defeat. But there is a difference between forbidden & moot.

2. ajaye

ajaye Senior Member

According to Wikipedia the bible doesn't specifically forbid incest between a father and daughter.

wtf

3. Your Boy

Your Boy New Member

What do you mean? It says lt does forbid incest, but doesn't consider cousins incest.

4. ajaye

ajaye Senior Member

from the Wikipedia article I linked (and yeah, it's only Wikipedia)

5. Your Boy

Your Boy New Member

Maybe lt goes without saying. But that is odd.

6. ajaye

ajaye Senior Member

Yes, it is wtf odd.

as a complete aside I am intrigued by your use of 'l' when spelling 'it', @Your Boy

7. Your Boy

Your Boy New Member

Wow. I haven't seen anyone mention that in years. I swear I saw in a grammar book when I was a kid that, 'lt' & 'lf', are spelled that way. I found out that other people don't do that, long before the Mandela Effect became popular. I also swear I saw a rule that a comma can never be placed next to the word, 'And' or the word 'Or'. I've done lt since I was three, so no sense stopping now.

ajaye likes this.
  8. Your Boy

Your Boy New Member

Not that lt said to use a lowercased, 'L'. It showed a speacial I that isn't available on my keyboard. I just substitute lt with the closest character. It looks more like |t actually. I don't know why I don't just use that character.

9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm done. This scenario makes no sense.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  10. Your Boy

Your Boy New Member

Simply saying so doesn't make |t so. You just don't want to believe |t, so there's no convincing you. It's still irrelevant. That's not the question that I asked.

11. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

Well, the closest I found was this:

Groom kidnapping, colloquially known as Pakaruah shaadi or Jabaria shaadi, is a phenomenon in the western parts of Bihar, and eastern Uttar Pradesh states in India, wherein eligible bachelors are abducted by the bride's family and later forcefully married, to avoid heavy dowry costs. Considering the traditional regard for the marriage sacrament, most such marriages are not annulled. Additionally, the groom may suffer criminal charges under Indian dowry law, and end up fighting lengthy legal battles.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groom_kidnapping

That might be of some use to you, but I can't imagine any government respecting a father-daughter forced marriage, though. Wow.

They are spelled that way. They just aren't capitalized that way. Why didn't you notice that in regular reading?

12. Your Boy

Your Boy New Member

That's interesting. That's something else I can use. They won't be welcomed in most countries because of their relationship. See, ChickenFreak, they don't get annulled.

That's what I'm saying. The book showed the words as, '|t' & '|f''. All other words showed the, 'i', character. However, when capitalized, they would still be represented by, 'I', so |t was some sort of special lowercase only used for those two words. Nobody ever noticed aside from ajaye & two of my friends, who made fun of me for doing so. They swear they once saw me mess up & use the lowercased, 'i', but could never show evidence. It probably seems retarded, but I like |t. It's unique, stylish & I'm used to writing that way. I have amassed some pictures over the years showing proof of other people using the character, but I've yet to see an outright mention. One day, perhaps. I did however once get confirmation from one person about the commas. That person also remembers this rule, but claims |t was changed later on.

13. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Well if you want to follow Bible logic the entire human race was propagated by Adam, Eve, and their children... therefore we are all children of incest.

14. Your Boy

Your Boy New Member

Yes, but Yahweh later outlawed incest, according to the Bible. What was acceptable in the Old Testament changed in the New Testament.

15. ajaye

ajaye Senior Member

um, no

:)

16. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

That is not sin. Sin is when you have a CHOICE between doing right and wrong, not when you have a gun (or sword) to your head and you are being forced.

Also, we are listening to you; you are not listening to us. This is a BAD, TERRIBLE, ILL-DESIGN scene/plot point. Five people have said so. You asked for our advice and we gave it. Cut your losses now (instead of trying to make this terrible idea work) and you will be better off. I am telling you this from experience; if I write something, and 10 people tell that Scene x is terrible, guess what? Despite my personal feelings, I am going to cut/change it.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  17. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

That's a very specific region and circumstances that don't include incest. I was just giving you something that you might be able to twist, in some ludicrous way, for your plot. Just don't count on your readers swallowing it.

18. ajaye

ajaye Senior Member

Gotta agree with this. If you're not going to let the SWZY kill them (*sigh* :) ) can't you think of another way to mess with their minds?

19. Your Boy

Your Boy New Member

By their logic, |t is a sin. You have to put yourself in the shoes of a zealot from long ago. It seems like you have trouble with that. The definition of, 'Sin', is: "an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.". It literally does not use the word, 'Choice'. That is your connotation, not a fact. As a writer, you have to accept hard facts without trying to stretch the definition to your fancy. If you can give me hard proof that this doesn't make sense, I will stay true to my word & make |t an alternate history. But five people who miss the point, but with no acceptable reason, won't change my mind.

It's a bad, terrible, ill design, yet nobody can give me a good reason why they think that. I have debunked every reason thus far. I am listening to you, but I don't remember asking, 'Do you think this is a good idea for a scene?'. I asked how people in a situation might react. How shallow would I be |f I changed my script because some people online told me to? Personally, when someone asks me for help with a scene, I help them with the scene. I don't judge them or tell them they need to rewrite |t. I'm thankful I got an answer, as people typically ignore me, but I would like to get back to the original subject matter. Do you even have any insight you can give me; or are you just here to judge? You must remember that |t's my script. Ultimately, I call the shots. If that's something that bothers you, you're welcome to write your own script with the changes you want. None of my works are copyrighted or ever will be. You could even collaborate with ChickenFreak.

20. Your Boy

Your Boy New Member

I could think of another way to mess with their minds, but have yet to come up with anything good.

21. ajaye

ajaye Senior Member

We're not judging you, just commenting on your premise.

22. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, I'll triple agree with all that. Good luck making this lame duck fly...

23. Your Boy

Your Boy New Member

"We're not judging you"

"Good luck making this lame duck fly...".

Contradiction. +1

24. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

That's not a contradiction:
    Regards you.
    Regards your plot.

25. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

I am not having trouble with it. The idea is just bad.

Not Shallow at all; you'd be doing your job. The Job of a writer is to ENTERTAIN an audience -nothing more, nothing less. We are an 'online' audience and we are not entertained by this idea, in fact, a lot of us think it is a terrible idea (if you don't believe me, just reread this thread and see everyone's reaction.)

Homer Potvin likes this.