Tags:
  1. Accelerator231

Accelerator231 Contributor Contributor

I read 'Model Minority' in 'Radicalized' by Cory Doctorow

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Accelerator231, Jan 11, 2020.

Superman expy tries to interfere with a police beating. It doesn't go well.

First of all, is the fact that, well, they don't like him. The guy warns him that 'non-whiteness' is contagious, and that he'll be seeing shit soon. First of all, is when he interferes with them trying to beat him down in interrogation. Basically slaps on a bunch of bullshit charges. And then the media starts shouting about how he's an alien, that he might be dangerous, and that his priorities may be different form ours.

Batman-expy goes on to meet him, saying that the NSA knows where Lois Lane is, and that they're willing to pay dirty. A whole slew of things happen. He meets notice of police abuse. The Lois Lane expy tells him of the new bullshit a.i. that they're using to arrest perps.

A protest occurs, and the police come out in force to take them down with water cannons and that new Microwave system. He stops it. An altercation occurs. In the end, he watches a neo-nazi parade, with the racist cop on the head, shouting into a megaphone, how he, a 'hardworking man working for his daily bread'. He flies away, never to be seen again.

He thinks about it, later on. He's been on earth for centuries. He's seen plenty of suffering. Plenty of racism, and prejudice. He saw the body of a boy that got shot because he was black, and he supposedly made some comments on a white woman. He thought on it, and realized that it was because some things it would never tolerate. And

some things, it would never forgive.

And well.....
    I like how it doesn't pull punches on the institutional rot and such. I like how it doesn't pull punches on the public's rot and apathy, and how they basically don't really give a shit, or if they do give a shit, they are basically unhelpful.

I also find it kinda stupid. American Eagle basically works for the military and is a superman expy. They know his powers. They know that he's invincible, never been hurt, and can basically tear through an entire bunker of men with impunity and tear out a dictator (who coincidentally wet his pants). So... why aren't they basically whispering into the right ears, basically paving his way? Why are they throwing themselves into the path of fire, by basically trying to punish him for doing the right thing? I mean, on one side is bunch of law enforcement and a racist, sadistic cop. On one side is a superman expy. The establishment can take one side, and that's an easy choice to make.

I mean, best case scenario, he simply leaves. And America loses the loyalty of a powerful, invincible, superhuman being who was nominally on their side. At worst.... well, he decides 'you're all terrible people, and I think I should correct that'. And then we get Justice Lords or Injustice or myraid of other shit.

So that's it. Book costs 12 dollars, on amazon kindle. A good enough read. Its with 3 other short stories.

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Haven't read that one, but I read Little Brother and whatever the sequel (or was LB the sequel?) was called, he was offering them for free a few years ago. He's a pretty good writer, definitely got an axe (or three) to grind with the state of affairs in the US these days. Might have to check that one out.

3. Nesian

Nesian Active Member

Sounds self righteously boring for a Superman comic

4. Accelerator231

Why so?

5. Vaughan Quincey

Vaughan Quincey Active Member

JG Ballard - Concrete Island
    Cory doesn't change, perhaps it's a good thing.

6. Accelerator231

Well, what do you think of him? This book is pretty much my only exposure to him.

7. Vaughan Quincey

Vaughan Quincey Active Member

JG Ballard - Concrete Island
    Can't compare with others, I'm not into that sort of thing.
    You can try another book, or try to search for an author writing about those topics. Everyone must be doing that sort of thing right now.