I Want To Be A Writer.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by joe, Mar 13, 2009.

1. General Daedalus

General Daedalus Banned

I am 16, living in the UK- I just started sixth form today. You should defintiely go on. I think we are in very similar situations and I'm beginning to see the mountain of work thrusting out from the crust. I am more determined than ever to work on my novel, because-- despite the seemingly popular opinion that's it's almost impossible to make a living as an author-- I want to be published within the next two years. I've wanted to be a published author for a long time, but right now I'm seeing it as an economically viable option to buy a car and fund my student lifestyle towards the end of sixth form and in my beginning years of university. I got 10 A-A*s at GCSE and 2Bs, without a single minute of revision (seriously, I was spending the vast majority of that time writing for another project I was working on, not my novel). My point is this- you seem to be concerned about balancing it out with school, but I have found that it does not need to be. I am certainly naturally inclined to retain information and therefore not need to revise so much which is why I've had so much free time to write, but if you do then you can still prioritise and succeed in both ventures.

2. Golden1994

Golden1994 New Member

Hallo everyone.
    Well I never really written before, so i'm here for some help about a story i want to write.
    Actually the story is about my own life - the thing is, it's very personel. I'm having trouble with knowing if I
    should go "all in" and write it as a I story or write it as a third person. I feel like writing it as a I story, but at the moment i'm not quite comfortable with it...

all thoughts would be appreciated

3. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

Are you doing it as your literal self, like creative non-fiction, or semi-autobiographical? Neither way would influence whether you should do first or third, but unless you've already looked at pros and cons of the two styles, which should be available through Google (or here, too, I'm sure), more information about what you want your story to be might help make the answer clearer.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  4. Dan G

Dan G New Member

My advice would be to just start with one and see how it feels and flows as you write it. You'll find, as most of us do, that the story will go off in unexpected directions as you right so, even in the first person, it will became a bit less personal as you move on.

5. mikeinseattle

mikeinseattle Member

edited

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016