1. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Iambic Pentameter - Unstressed & Stressed syllables

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Albirich, Jul 19, 2017.

Learning me the basics or at least rules of poetry because I think it could help the rhythm of my writing, as well as giving a certain character some extra flavor so to say :)

So then I come to the Iambic Pentameter, and I understand the concept of it, ba-DUM x5, but the problem I have is with the recognizing unstressed and stressed syllables.

It might be a bit harder since it's not my mother's tongue, but I won't let that halt me.

So yeah, anyone got any good tips for noticing and differentiating the unstressed & stressed syllables? :)

2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I'm actually not great at this either, but another member (@OJB ) is studying this and has been posting about on his (on site) blog. You can fine that here (OJB's Blog).

I think I saw somewhere that he also has a practice page that might be helpful for you. I'll be back if I can find that.

FOUND IT! Practice thread

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    PiP and OJB like this.
  3. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

4. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Hello, Albirich.

All the information for your questions is in the following link: https://www.writingforums.org/entry/a-study-of-metrical-writing-part-1-introduction.63871/

If you are serious about your study of Metrical poetry then obtain following books.
    1. Rules for a Dance by Mary Oliver (the best introduction to meter)
    2. All the Fun's in how you say a thing by Timothy Steel (This second book has all the current theory that today's meter is based on.)
    3. A Formal Feeling Comes, Edited by Annie Finch. A collection of contemporary metrical poems written by women.
    4. Lord Tennyson's Idylls of the King. (A story written in Iambic Pentameter about the rise and fall of King Arthur.)

I want to address this. I don't know what your mother tongue is, but you can't take Metrical theory for English, and apply it to another language. I know Greek and Japanese have their own Metrical systems (though I am not qualified to comment on how those systems work), but be aware that the resources I've given you are for writing IP in English only. The reason for this is some languages are stressed based, some are pitched based, and some are duration based.

If you have any questions please PM me, Ask here in your thread, or on my Blog.

-OJB.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    PiP likes this.
  5. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

So far I've found OJB's lessons on stressed and unstressed syllables and syllable count extremely useful, especially the practice thread.

OJB and Trish like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I haven't made it that far yet :) I'm still trying to get a grip on grammar fundamentals. I know what it's supposed to look/sound like, but actual terms? Nope.

OJB and PiP like this.