1. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

Idea: Flash fiction for the blog only?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by mbinks89, Feb 20, 2013.

So after learning that all the short stories I've posted on my blog are now void for most literary journals, and other magazines, I'm thinking of writing flash fiction pieces and maybe poems and other short, perhaps experimentally-stylistic pieces for the blog, and saving any future short stories for the publishers. Yay or nay? At least if I post my more stylistically varied pieces in flash fiction on the web, I can get reviews for free? Any thoughts, criticisms, input?

2. JennyM

JennyM New Member

Why are they void? Because of the t+c of the journals and magazines?

If you hold the copyright to your posts, then would it be possible to rework them. Which means they would be a new draft, and you could say with hand on heart that the writing in that form hasn't been posted on your blog. Would the journals / magazines know how much has been reworked? Wonder at what point or percentage the journal or magazines would accept being reworked?

Perhaps you can write say the first couple of chapters to your blog, for advertising purposes of course, then linking to the journal or magazine for the rest of the ms.

There is no stipulation with Amazon, they only ask if the copyright is yours. Would that be a possibility for your ms?

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

submitting a rehashed piece work that has already been 'published' as 'new' is still a form of deception... being a professional editor and a moralist, i would never advise anyone to do that...

4. JennyM

JennyM New Member

Thanks Mammamaia, since my posting above, I've seen another thread running similar to this one. I must go and read it.

5. jwideman

jwideman New Member

JennyM speaks wisely. But you have to do more than just change the names and revise. It has to be a different story. You could always include in your cover letter that it is similar to a story you've already published. The publisher/writer relationship is based on trust. I know an author who did a similar thing and the editor told them what changes they needed to make. It was their first sale.
    As for self-publishing, that's always an option. I know of a few bloggers that put out books of their best blog posts. Or even all of them. Try to bundle together stories on a similar theme. Do remove the stories from your blog before you release the book. I would write a preface that explains to readers what's going on (many will never have read your blog) and absolutely include a dedications page thanking your commenters.
    Anyway, best of luck.

6. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I say "void" because most journals stipulate that they will not take word currently considered by third-party publishers/work already published. Blog = self-published, technically. I'm just going to post little snippets, brief descriptions, flash fiction, etc, from now on, just to showcase my writing. Thanks to all.