1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Idiosyncrasies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Jul 30, 2009.

Everyone has their own little traits and quirks about them; what are yours?

One of mine is that I refuse to eat at other people's houses. It's weird. I have this distrust when it comes to that. Their dishes might not be as clean, or their food could be all germy, or something like that. It probably comes from babysitting at a lot of messy houses around lunchtime, when I'm starving but the house is so MESSY you just don't trust anything in it.

2. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

What do you do if you're on holiday? :D

I guess my quirk is that I can't be alone in a silent room without talking to myself, if that qualifies. :p

3. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Well, if you're on vacation, you go to restaurants, and they get health inspections.

My quirks all come from my silly OCD habits, which I will not admit here.

4. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I have conversations with myself, in front of other people, it's amusing I'm told.

Oh, and I literally throw my head back with I laugh. Looks sinister. Lol.

5. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

When I get really angry, my eyes start twitching. Sometimes, that's the only way people can tell as I'm pretty good at masking my emotions. Of course, they probably won't realize it unless they've been around me for a while. The eye twitching is something that I can't seem to control. Not yet, anyway.

6. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

And now we all know your secret... :D

7. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

i love when people do that, eoz :)

as for my 'quirks' etc, i think it would be easier to just list what i'm normal about... i have the habit of making pretty much everyone i meet shake their head in confusion and 'overload headacheness' that i, just by being me, have imposed upon them.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

When I'm angry, I don't have much inclination to start shouting. Quite the opposite, I get very quiet and serious. People who know me tend to back away when I just sit, staring, without saying a word.

I also don't like a silent room. I'm always more comfortable with background noise. I concentrate best with the TV on. Music, however, is distracting.

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

When I am angry, I clean the house.

When I push open a door, I always do so with my index finger and middle fingers crossed together.

I cannot sleep under messy sheets. My husband is a sheet tangler. The battle is waged every night.

I am a knowledge junkie. I watch the Science Channel with my internet open next to me so that I can look up in further detail the subjects about which they are speaking.

I am a collector.

I have a large collection of vintage Fiestaware, but I only ever use one plate which is my favorite in turquoise blue because it is just the right color and brightness to make the majority of foods look good upon it.

I cannot drive without music on.

I get pissed when my husband turns down my music to talk on his cell phone while in the car. I get irked at the idea that I might have missed a favorite song while he was gabbing and instead I press the pause button on the CD player.

When I clean the bathroom, I do so in my birthday suit. Bleach. Nuff said.

10. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Me too!

Again, me too! My coworkers do it a lot when they pick up the phone in the back room (I bring my ipod to work so I can listen to music I like while I'm trapped in the back). I'm like dude...the pause button is right there. Don't turn it down, just stop the music.

FYI when I hear the word idiosyncrasies, I immediately think of Charlotte's Web. :)

Some of mine...I won't use a towel if it hasn't been hanging up. Or if you set it down on the floor, toilet seat, etc and then try to hand it to me.

If I'm taping a card board box together to pack something or ship something, I have to tape it three times...once down the middle, and then once on either side. I am constantly made fun of by my coworkers for this.

I'll have to ask Joel and post more later. I know I have some really good ones, but I'm drawing a blank right now...

11. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I get irritated when people I'm riding with have the music turned down so low that you can only vaguely hear it. I don't mind it if we're talking about something or having some sort of engaging conversation, but if we're just sitting and staring out the window, I want to be able to hear the music in every detail, not some vague rythem in the distance.

I don't just want the music around me, I want the music in me!

12. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I mimick other peoples accents on accident. I am southern, and I have no idea why this happens. Apparently after birth I was speaking with a russian accent (I dont remember this, it was late and I was beyond exhausted). It's weird and embarrassing, but my husband gets the biggest kick out of it. After birth when I was speaking as a Russian is the only time he got embarrassed. He said he didnt know if he should laugh or hide. Other than that I am rather normal.

13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't feel bad, luv. I am also an accent magnet. I work an interpreter for Spanish, and in Spanish we accents that are as strong and distinct as the different speaking regions of the English language from America to the UK to Australia and beyond.

My hubby always knows where my clients for any given day were from from my manner of speech.

14. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I do that, too. I blame my mom...I always used to tease her because she did it, and then one year in college I took a class with someone from Boston and noticed that I do it too...:redface:

15. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

Turn it up so you can feal each and every note reverberate within yourself :D

16. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I have this thing with my hair where if I'm doing a pnytail or something similar it has to be completely smooth ontop; like even if it's for PE or something where no one cares what I look like it still has to be completely smooth, I will literally sit in the bathroom for like 20 minutes trying to get my hair to cooperate on days when it doesn't lol
    it's a really good thing I don't have bushy or curly hair :p

ok I know I have others but I can't think of them right now....

17. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Do you mean after your birth or after you gave birth? :confused:

18. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

Because I doubt she was born with a husband I'm guessing after she gave birth.;)

19. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

After I gave birth. I would be really something amazing if it was after I was born. haha Sorry I worded that wrong.

20. Gigi_GNR

Another of mine is that I hate people who don't treat books right and don't get how reading is so awesome. Like when you check out a library book and there's pencil marks in it and the pages are dog-eared? I HATE that. My mom dog-eared a page of one of my books one time and I didn't speak to her. She was like "I didn't have a bookmark", but how hard is it to stick some random paper in there?

All through my school years, especially in elementary, I was and am a bookworm. More than once I have gotten in trouble in parent-teacher conferences about reading when I'm not supposed to. What really irks me is how many people in my school don't understand that reading is one of the best things in this world. Especially in elementary, they were always like "Why do you like to read so much?" in their whiny, prepubescent voices..... *steam shoots from ears*

Of course, it was totally awesome when we took our reading tests in 3rd and 4th grade. Most kids got a "3rd grade/4th grade level" of reading, meaning the reading capacity of that grade. I took it in 3rd/4th and got a 12.9, which means an end of high school/college rating, and everyone was like "?!?!". It was HILARIOUS. (My 4th grade teacher actually announced in front of the class that I was going to college, and then spent an entire class period answering questions about me. It was quite the ego trip :D)

I'm not bragging, by the way. I just wanted to say that to make my point.

21. Gigi_GNR

See below:

Exactly.

22. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

You just made me think of another one of mine!

I hate it so much when people say reading is boring. It drives me insane when people say books are boring, books are soo not boring!!

Or when people barely read and then they read a book thats okish but really popular, like Twilight (no offense to any twilight lovers) and then say its the most amazing and wonderful book in the world. I'm always thinkg "There are so many books that are a million times better written with more complex plots and you chose that one?!"

lol sorry, that stuff always gets me on this huge rant if i start talking about it :p

23. Gigi_GNR

I hate it when people follow the herd in general, dressing like the masses, talking like them, etc. I don't do that; I don't follow every little fad.

I hate people who read one or two books and think they're SOOOO literate, or people like my brick of a dad who think books are stupid, when they're not. :mad:

24. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

I hate people. They make enough noise to give me headaches, they're pushy, clingy and they smell.

25. Gigi_GNR

Someone's in a good mood today. :D