If there were a pill to make me straight, I would not take it

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by A.M.P., Jun 9, 2015.

1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Yes that could work, but I don't think too many
    in the Gov would go along with something so
    stupid. Since our armed forces have gays,
    I doubt they would be on board with such insane.
    Then things would go down hill from there. Fast.
    Not to mention if you don't have the will of your
    armies, then playing tyrant is not going to work
    out so will. It would be bloody mess between protecting
    civilians and idiots that are just exactly that.
    There is also the right to a refuse an order you disagree
    with.
    Furthermore doing things on that scale are costly,
    and unpopular.
    Also it would take a bit of convincing a military
    composed of its own people to subjugate it for
    no real reason.
    So it would more than likely never happen.

Alternatively, if one should like to try and
    change preference there should be a better
    (and more humane) way of helping them
    if they so choose.

2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

1. As we were discussing earlier conversion therapy is mostly not illegal in the US. In NSW and Queensland here only two.
    2. It should be noted that Pence never specifically endorsed electroshock therapy he had a campaign site in 2000 for his election as House Member (which he won) that said federalfunding should go away from pro-LGBT groups to those "that provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behaviour" which has been widely interpreted as a guarded endorsement for federally funding conversion therapy which MAY include electroshock therapy as a method. Since becoming VP a spokeperson for Pence told Buzzfeed it was about AIDS relief programs. I'm skeptical of that given his comments and votes on sex education and needle-exchanges, but who knows? He's obviously not entirely opposed to the ideology behind conversion therapy though given that he called both civil unions and gay marriage a threat to society as a House member and as a Governor complained about the marriage ruiling.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The Wehrmacht and even the SS were composed of ordinary Germans... things like this are generally a creeping scale, it starts off with small curbs on liberty for national security, suspending rights 'temporarily' - for the good of the country, and so on... in a crisis people will readily blame any social group not like them given only mild provocation.

Anyone who says "it couldn't happen here" is kidding themselves, it could happen anywhere.

I think it was Ben Franklin who said something to the effect that" a people who would trade liberty for security deserves neither and will assuredly lose both"

Simpson17866 and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You might enjoy Christian Nation, by Frederic C. Rich. Its starting premise is that Pres. McCain dies on a trip to Russia, leaving us with Pres. Palin in charge.

Simpson17866 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think a big component of this is the ever-present idea that now (whenever now may be) is somehow fundamentally different to back then. As though we today in 2017 are operating on a snazzy new O.S. that was just released that promises a totally stable platform and spells an end to all the glitches and crashes and blue-screens-of-death that plagued the past. We always feel this. We've always felt this. Every now has always had this assurance.

Truth is we've been working on the same O.S. for at least the last 60,000 years (probably longer) and we haven't seen a major hardware upgrade in over a 150,000 years.