1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

If you had a time machine?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lemex, Oct 6, 2014.

If you had a time machine, where would you go and why?

2. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

I'd go back, with a nuke, and wipe out our ancestors.

No that that's aside: I'd probably bounce around meet bitches. But, I guess I couldn't meet them, huh? Could you imagine sitting down with an Aurelius? He'd probably just tell me how much Duty I don't subscribe to. Or viewing the moments of religious relevance, seeing their validity. Would I be physically put in the environment? 'Cause, if not, I'd go back to see the conception of the universe.

In answering this, I totally just realized how vague and generic my responses are.

Still.

3. mg357

mg357 Active Member

If I had a time machine I would go back to the date of September 7th 1923 and watch my Grandpa Charles George being born, he died several years before I was born so I never got to meet him.

4. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I'd go back to last Thursday and wash my hands again. Maybe I wouldn't have this ass-kicking cold.

5. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I would probably not dare use it, being too afraid to mess something up.

6. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Can we go into the future as well, or just the past?

7. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I'd go back to about 1999 or 2000 and buy a bunch of Enron stock and then sell it all in early Spring, 2001.

Swiveltaffy and Komposten like this.
  8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't see why not, it is a time machine.

jazzabel likes this.
  9. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

I'd do nothing.

As much as I'd love to go back in time, I'd be to tempted to try and stop something or save someone or see my uncle again. But it wouldn't be wise to try and prevent mass deaths or selfishly try to save the life a loved one or the life of a stranger. No matter how bad you want to.....at least not by way of time travel

Tampering with time isn't something that is wise and things could always turn worse no matter what intentions you may have bad.

So I'd think I'd break the damn thing.

Better it be destroyed or something then fall into the hands of ....well anyone. To much potential for things to go .....very very very bad.

10. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I'd like to go back and ask Doyle why he made Sherlock Holmes a coke head.

11. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'd go back to the Renaissance and hang out with da Vinci and Michelangelo (seriously, the Pietà is fucking amazing).

TDFuhringer and Lemex like this.
  12. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Yay! Ok, I'd definitely travel into the future. First in hundred year increments and then I'd start getting bolder and want to see what happens in a couple million (or billion) years. Future fascinates me, space too, and I'd love to see how our civilisation develops.

13. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I would go back to right before I used the time machine, and then try as hard as possible to damage the time machine before I have a chance to use it.

If I am capable of following through on this plan, then the time machine is capable of changing the past and must never be used by anybody.

If I fail to stop myself from using the time machine, then I know that I am not in danger of creating a paradox, and I would use it to

*bring the future's scientific advancements to the present
    *make a fortune on insider tra favorable investments
    *cheap pranks ;)

jazzabel likes this.
  14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I would first perform some causality experiments to determine which model of time travel is correct. Depending on the results, I might use the time machine to erase it and its inventors from existence before it destroys the civilization that came up with it. Retroactively.

Before some genius tries to create a temporal paradox so airtight that only erasure of the civilization becomes the most probable means to resolve the paradox.

Mike Hill and jazzabel like this.
  15. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

I would go back to my childhood and tell me everything is going to turn out okay. And I'd tell myself NOT to throw away certain toys and memorabilia that would be worth a fortune now, both financially and emotionally. I might also warn myself about some bad choices I would eventually make... but I'm pretty sure my younger self wouldn't listen.

Christopher Snape. and jazzabel like this.
  16. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

In Pompeii archeologists have found something incredible in the ruins preserved under volcanic ash.

Graffiti.

Not a little bit of it either, there's tons and tons of graffiti, written on bathroom walls, defacing local advertisements, on the tables and chairs of the corner bar. And while some of it is in proper Latin, most of it is slang. It's basically the 2,500 year old equivalent of "Sophia gobbles balls," or "Romeous is a faggot".

So what I would do is go back, write something hilarious on a wall, and watch scientists two and a half millennia later try to decipher what I meant by "White coats are for losers."

17. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

I'd have a lot of work to do, going back and un-burning sooo much bread. I'd have a flawless baking record! Considering that our timers like to simply stop randomly, or sometimes remain completely silent, that would actually be quite amazing.

I would also like to meet Margaret Thatcher.

18. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Pre 1997, just to see my grandparents, especially my grandma, one more time the way she was. A chance to look at things with glasses hued in innocence, hope, and the shroud of the unknown. To lose the knowledge of an old adversary, who has haunted me far too long. It would be a tale of things lost and things found.

19. Russo

Russo New Member

I'd go back to my childhood, when I was too young to hold memories, and just see how I was. I also want to go back even further and just watch my entire family tree come to life.