1. Veltman

Veltman Active Member

If you needed to create a large database of diverse human DNA, how would you do it?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Veltman, Feb 1, 2019.

In my near future sci-fi novel set in the 2040s, a corporation needs to find a man and a woman with a very specific set of genetic markers so they could have a child, and then said child would be a subject in an advanced gene therapy/biological augmentation project.

What exactly would be the most efficient method of gathering and creating a huge database of diverse human DNA in order to screen and find the people necessary for the project? A worldwide fake blood donation campaign?

2. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

I'd go with an ancestry tracking site, with a little clause hidden somewhere in the terms that they can use your DNA for other purposes. We've already seen law enforcement catch killers using the DNA of relatives who participated in programs like Ancestry or 23 and Me.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It's sci-fi fiction so expand on this: Human Genome Project. The Ancestry and 24 and Me data bases are based on fairly thin genome data about people. Of course you could do the same with them, add fiction to suit your story.

4. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Start gathering samples from people through their HMO. If it's something sanctioned by some government organization, they could send a memo to doctors saying there's testing for some low level infectious disease and in order to prevent a possible breakout, it's important to take a sample and send it for testing.

5. Fallow

Fallow Banned

Engineered mosquitoes.

6. Veltman

Veltman Active Member

@Fallow What? I didn't get it. Please elaborate.

@The Dapper Hooligan and @X Equestris It's not government sanctioned bur private. How would you go about gathering it in foreign countries and bring it all back stateside without raising any alarms?

7. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

I did 23 and me in the states.

Private testing companies are really popular all over the world.

https://thednageek.com/genealogical-dna-testing-around-the-globe/

So basically, the private company gives something in exchange for you spitting into a tube and sending them a hundred bucks or whatever.

X Equestris likes this.
  8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You didn't ask this question, so my comment is admittedly completely unsolicited, but if this is the same story as your Mars colony story - push your timeline out 100 years. The 2040's are right around the corner, and this is one if my biggest eye-crossers in Science Fiction, the idea that the totally fantastic, ultra-different, super-slick Science Fiction Future™ is just 10 or 20 years away.

With the exception of internet and cell phones, I'm living a life that's not technologically any different from the one I lived in the 1980's, which was 30-ish years ago.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  9. EBohio

EBohio Banned

But internet and cell phones are a very big deal that does make life very technologically different than the 1980's. It's hard to believe the Smartphone only came out in 2007 and life is very different now from then.

10. Fallow

Fallow Banned

Everything so far has been passive collection techniques - like 23 and me. I was pointing out that targeted techniques that imitate natural mosquito bites would be an active way of getting samples. You could use regular mosquitos with cameras, GMO mosquitos that will seek out the person they bit before if you get the match you want or robot mosquitos that may not even look like insects but leave behind a mark that convinces victims that is what bit them.

This is an SF story, right?

11. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

Pretty much my thoughts.

John Calligan likes this.
  12. Veltman

Veltman Active Member

Feel free to ask and say anything here. You're welcome! It is the same story, I'm only playing around with a few options to set it in the 2040's USA with some changes if the more futuristic setting doesn't work out. If it does however, it will take place in the 2130s or 2140s instead.

13. The Dapper Hooligan

Not sure about collecting, but bringing it back shouldn't be a problem if they're listed as a medical research corporation, or university or something. As long as they've got the proper paperwork filled out, I doubt any border agents would even bother looking through any packages marked "FRAGILE MEDICAL SAMPLES KEEP REFRIGERATED."

14. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

mind you the difference between 1980 and 1950 was a lot bigger and the difference between 1950 and 1920 was huge - these things are predicated by technological break throughs which are often stimulated by conflict (modern computing developing from Turing's work at Bletchley park in the 40s for example ) rather than by a set period of time

Say that the current political climate lead to a new arms race in the next ten years leading to the US developing FTL technology ... twenty years on from that life could be massively different (or we could all be living in caves and fighting over the cockroach supply after the arms race span into a shooting war... I digress)

on point - I think the others have cracked it with the ancestry idea, but for another one what about a massive social media/internet banking organisation requiring dna for log on security ?

Wreybies likes this.
  15. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Actually, I believe that stored DNA would be obsolete in 50 years. We already know the chemical makeup and are closing in fast to the structure that would produce a desired result. From that we could create an algorithm that would reproduce or resurrect any living thing.

DNA is made up of molecules called nucleotides. Each nucleotide contains a phosphate group, a sugar group and a nitrogen base. The four types of nitrogen bases are adenine (A), thymine (T), guanine (G) and cytosine (C). The order of these bases is what determines DNA's instructions, or genetic code.

16. Fallow

Fallow Banned

I don't understand the distinction you're making. "Sequenced" DNA is stored as information, not as a chemical strand already. That's how 23 and Me does the matching - by comparing data files.

Are you talking about using digital information to do something like cloning and being able to do it without genetic material?

17. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    In The Simpsons it's mentioned once that the US government only keeps pennies around to collect DNA samples from.

Wait, I'm not being snarky here. What if Visa/Mastercard came up with SecureGenetechnology that prevented identity theft by letting you register your DNA sample with the company. Every time you used your credit card, you'd press your thumb to the USB SecureGenescanner (FREE with new member registration!) or use the equivalent on your phone or mobile device.

It's for your protection...

When the Social Security Act was first passed, critics warned that the government would be creating a National ID Number in the form of the SSN, and Social Security cards printed before 1972 had warnings that the numbers were not to be used for identification purposes.

18. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

I was thinking more along the lines of using a form of life and modifying it to reproduce a desired product similar to CRISPR DNA splicing. And who knows how advanced the process would be in 50 years.

19. Fallow

Fallow Banned

I don't know if I'd agree that making something that phenotypically appears to be a dodo is the same as something that is actually genetically a dodo.

Thundair likes this.
  20. The Dapper Hooligan

Orson Scott Card had a book similar to that, where he used modified viruses to cure genetic illnesses and create ultra human cult followers.

Thundair likes this.