1. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'm fed up

Discussion in 'Romance Forums' started by Tenderiser, Jul 28, 2017.

Fed up of defending romance on this forum.

Why is it allowed? Why are people allowed to come onto a forum for writers and mock an entire genre, in the process insulting the members of the forum who write and/or enjoy it?

Shouldn't it be a basic rule of any writing forum that you respect other writers?

There have even been posts from moderators in the past ridiculing romance.

I don't enjoy fantasy, but I think I've been able to express that without mocking the genre or insulting the people who write it. That's basic courtesy.

I'm just sick of it.

Pauline likes this.
  2. Tenderiser

And to clarify, it doesn't bother me because it's my genre that so frequently comes under attack.

I was equally as appalled when a few posters recently had a bitch fest about YA and how it's badly written. I defended that just as much as I do romance, because I think in principle it's not okay on a writer's forum, not just when it directly affects me.

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I've obviously got my own issues with AW (or they have their issues with me!) but I do like the "respect your fellow writer" rule they have over there. The selective enforcement of the rule isn't great, but in general? I think it's a good foundation.

Then again, I appreciate that things aren't as top-down here and members have more freedom to determine their own standards... although, yeah, it's frustrating as hell when people are ass hats.

On the plus side, buddy from the most recent incident got banned, but that doesn't address the other examples you've raised.

On the even plus-er side, one of my kittens has burrowed his way completely under the dog's bed and is dragging the entire thing around like a turtle with a huge, soft shell. It's pretty cute. Better than dealing with ignorant assholes, for sure!

Pauline likes this.
  4. Pauline

Pauline Member

I saw that thread, and others like it. There does seem to be less of it here than in other places. Still, it's breathtaking how narrow minded some fellow writers are. Their work is likely condecending and preachy, and I suspect old mates mom read romance and didn't pay him the attention he felt he deserved. Anyway, nothing like being mansplained to, is there?
    I think I'll change my avatar in solidarity with all my fellow romance writers. :)

Trish, BayView and Tenderiser like this.
  5. Tenderiser

Gorgeous cover!

BayView likes this.