1. BonanzaFan2011

BonanzaFan2011 New Member

Im New Here From Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BonanzaFan2011, Mar 22, 2011.

Hi everybody,
    My name is Linda and Im from Australia. Im a huge fan of the tv show Bonanza
    and am totally hooked on reading fan fiction and now want to try my hand at writing some. I have been writing out plots and ideas but dont have any idea how to start and putting down, so I am hoping that this forum might be able to help me out to get a kick start. Everyone Im sure had to start somehow.

Anyways looking forward to making friends and sharing interests.

2. Norule

Norule New Member

Welcome to the WF Linda hope you will find what youre looking for on this site :)

3. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

Hey there :)

I always used to find that problem. What you're probably having is that you know what's going to happen at the end and basically in the middle, but you don't have a start.
    You need to think of you main characters background.
    How you want it to start out? That would include setting, people, speech, what's revealed about your character in such a short time.
    I'm always free for a chat if you'd like to go further into it. I also have some good links which you could use as well, but I'm not sure if I can post them here :L
    I normally write how I see/hear it in my brain as the imagery sparks up. :) Try it. There is no point in just being restrictive. It can start anywhere you want, how you like and so on and so on. :3

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Welcome, Linda. :)

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Linda, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

One of the most fun aspects of watching Bonanza decades later is seeing how many of the guest stars I recognize. But I also agree that the writing on the show was better than for most other Westerns from that time.

Please read How to Use the Writing Workshop before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Writing Workshop, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Writing Workshop, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. We also impose a two-week waiting period before you may post writing for critique, to give you time to become familiar with what is expected and how the site operates. The Writing Workshop forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Writing Workshop forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

6. BonanzaFan2011

Thanks for the warm welcome all and Moonshine I will contact you if thats ok :) Dont worry Im only a newbie at this and have nothing ready to be posted. Im just learning so far :)
    Cogito..yes Bonanza in my opinion was the better Western from all of them as it showed family values and the writing was the best. There are some brilliant fan fiction stories which have been written on the show and Ive read so much of them that I thought I would like to start writing as being a disabled person it would give me something to keep my mind off of my problems :)

7. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Welcome, Linda :D

8. BonanzaFan2011

Thanks Trish :)

9. bob smith

bob smith New Member

Shrimp on the Barbie?

Just kidding, that was lame.

Welcome to the forums :)

10. BonanzaFan2011

LOL... thanks for the welcome :) Least you didnt say Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi hehe.

11. Bay K.

Bay K. New Member

Welcome Linda / Bonanza --to the madness of creative writing! :)

12. BonanzaFan2011

Thank you Bay K :)

13. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome to the forums.

14. BonanzaFan2011

Thank you Gigi :)