1. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed New Member

I'm struggling with this idea...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by sophia_esteed, Sep 2, 2008.

For quite some time now there's been on my computer this sci-fi novel I wrote when I was about 16 years old.
    For quite some time I've been thinking on how to improve it to make it...readable, at least.
    The idea is to work on the existing chapters to give them unity, while adding also new chapters on the way to fill in the gaps when necessary.
    And so, after devising a new storyline, I've started by writing a brand new opening chapter.
    Cutting to the chase, after completing this new chapter by one third, I'm stuck.
    The idea I'm struggling with is this: is it plausible for fission nuclear reactors to still exist in the 25th century? Is there any way I can make it plausible, for a novel set in a universe which is pretty much like that of Star Trek tv series?
    I need a nuclear explosion to occur after an accident with a broken reactor or something, pretty much like what happened when the Chernobyl reactor 4 blew up...but for a fission reactor to still exist and still be flawed in 25th century seems...unlikely.
    Aww my head's gonna blow! :confused::eek:

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

It's your made-up universe. If you want it to be the same type of sci-fi that Star Trek is, remember that not everything on that show is 100% scientifically accurate. If the absolute best way for you to start your story is with a Chernobyl-like explosion, find a way for it to make sense. It doesn't have to be 100% scientific as long as you can find some way to explain it.

3. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed New Member

Right, I'll give it a try then, and maybe when it's done I'll post it on this forum to get it checked!
    Thanks! :)

4. bazzman

bazzman New Member

Hello Sophia

Why mention nuclear to begin with? no one has any idea what will be available or possible in 100 years let alone 400-500 so for me i would expect perhaps something new and StarTrek went along this route with the Dilithium Reactor sounds good eh? you could have Anti-Spatial Core, or Hyper Matter Reactor i dont think it matters a jot about the scientific credibility rather, about drawing the reader in to what is happening.

.....unless of course you need a nuclear reactor as part of the story ! ha ha

5. ABMiller86

ABMiller86 New Member

Something i have noticed about culture today is that we love remembering where we come from regardless of its practicality in the modern world. I would believe it being very possible that the future generations of Earth could keep a couple of these reactors active as a remembrance of where we came from. Of course they would be much older, but still it might be something you want to pursue.

If you need anymore help i tried that rewriting something i wrote when i was younger thing too... pain in the butt.

Good luck

6. Ungood

Ungood New Member

do you need a specific type of nuclear reactor (An item)

Or

Do you need a bad radioactive melt down? (An event)

7. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I like the idea that it doesn't have to necessarily be a nuclear reactor. You could invent a similar device for the future. Or, you can write it and then have people read it and give their opinions. Personally, I don't think it would be too much of a problem.