1. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Stuck between a rock and a hard place, help!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Lmc71775, Jul 3, 2010.

I signed a contract with a publisher three months ago to publish my first children's book. Nothing has been done yet with the exception of the typesetting (which I am not even sure that was started, I haven't seen anything yet)

Normally the editor says, "a project usually takes around 4 to 6 weeks" and with mine being that it has to get illustrated, it takes longer. Ok, granted I know it takes a while. But here's the thing. I always have to contact the editor for updates, he never contacts me first. And besides the point it's been three months and NOTHING is getting done.

What do I do? I don't want to bail out of it because this is my dream. I didn't have to pay anything, but legally I am binded to them. How do I get the ball rolling? Am I being to eager about this?

I keep asking for updates and ask can I talk to someone else about this? Yet he always says, "I'm sorry it's taking so long, thank you for your patience" and says he'll get on it, but he never does.

Help...what should I do?

2. theSkaBoss

theSkaBoss New Member

Relax. It's a contract. That means they're bound to do what they said they'd do in the contract.

3. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Thanks, easier said than done though. But, you're right...I just need to relax. This is my first time and just want everything to go right. I just wish the illustrations would get started though.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Contracts are violated all the time. The courts are backed up, and litigation can be expensive and take a very long time. A contract that does not specify firm delivery dates can be very difficult to enforce, because the defendant can always say it is in progress.

5. theSkaBoss

theSkaBoss New Member

Fair enough. Noting that, I wonder what the contract actually entails as far as publish dates and such.

6. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Exactly! I certainly do NOT want to spend money to get a lawyer as to why things are not getting done. And you're right, a contract that doesn't specify, the defendant can say that it is still in the process. And of course mine does not. I would have to read it thoroughly again. I don't want it to go that route, I just want it done.

I would feel better if something, ANYTHING got started.

7. Cogito

I wish I could tell you how to proceed. I know of other people who have been stuck in that kind of limbo, but don't know how they have dealt with it. Hopefully someone else will be able to help.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

who's the publisher?... i sure hope it's not PA or one of its ilk!

9. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Yes, can you please also PM me and tell me who the publisher is? I'm trying to get a children's book published, I don't want to end up in the same boat.

Good luck...I wish I knew advice to offer. *hug*

10. izanobu

izanobu New Member

Have you considered contacting Author's Guild? They have contract help and lawyers, I think they offer sliding scale rates to writers.

11. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Thanks I will check into it Izanobu. As for saying the publishing co. I rather not. I don't want any trouble.

12. mammamaia

how can it cause you any trouble to just tell us who it is?

if it is Publish America, you need to check it out here: http://www.invirtuo.cc/prededitors/pebpublisham.htm

and even if it isn't, see if it's listed there...

13. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I know this is kind of after the fact here, but going forward try to put the time frame in the contract, and also add a provision that says if the publishing company doesn't act within a certain period of time (whatever you agree on), then the contract is voidable.

14. Cogito

Better yet, have a literary attorney look over any contract before you sign it.

15. mammamaia

ditto that!... if not experienced in the legal end of things contractual, you should always have a literary attorney check any contract you sign, before the fact...

16. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Agreed with mammamaia - as long as you're stating true facts about a publishing co and not slandering them or anything, you shouldn't legally be able to get in trouble.

Of course, I'm not trying to push it, don't tell if you don't feel comfortable. :)

Maia, sorry I'm taking forever to send you my children's book for editing. I've been super busy with other projects but it's something I"d like to do soon! :) :)

17. mammamaia

no prob, mallory!... my time is your time...