Implications for military development

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Aldarion, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I'm not expert, but I believe that squires would stay close to their knight and help him in battle, protect him if wounded, save if corpse if killed, provide him with a fresh horse if his own is killed from under him, carry his flag, etc. So it might be antithetical to the role of a squire to have them form a separate part of the unit. Of course you could do whatever you want.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

If squire charged alongside knight (that is, acted as melee cavalry), how was he armoured? I hardly think in plate, seeing how plate armour required a second person to help with putting it on.

EDIT: This is the current idea:
    • cavalry lance: 2 heavy lancers (cataphractii), 2 mounted crossbowmen (also serve as squires), 1 page (noncombatant)

• cavalry decuria: 4 heavy lancers (cataphractii), 6 assistants (4 mounted crossbowmen, 2 noncombatant pages)

3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Plate armor was only introduced later in the period, and I'm sure it depended on the squire's individual means.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

Technology level in my world is late 15th century - so around 1480s, but without gunpowder. Now, as I said, full plate armour required a second person to help put it on. So unless knight helped squire put his armour on, squire probably wouldn't wear full plate.

Of course, society I have in mind is not feudal - we are talking essentially professional army here, in the vein of 9th century Byzantine army - so it would not be out of question to have knights help each other put on their armour. That being said, there may still need to be someone around to help with armour and weapons maintenance.

5. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

It might be a good idea to focus more on the Byzantine Empire for inspiration then.

matwoolf likes this.
  6. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

Things is, I have not been able to find that particular piece of information there, either. I did find out that kataphraktoi had two assistants, but nothing about their own equipment or role on the battlefield. And I pretty much did base organization on Byzantine thematic system, but I am trying to combine it with a) 15th century non-gunpowder technology (plate armour, crossbow, and other stuff) and b) considerations I had outlined in the OP.

BTW, I found out that Byzantines did in fact utilize wagon camp, though they did not use wagons in battle like John Hunyadi did.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

At some point you have to accept that you arent going to find absolutely everything out and start writing - its not a history of byzantium, its fiction based on byzantium - if you can't find it out just make it up... in your culture each knight has two squires that help him arm before joining the crossbow men.. problem solved, moving on...

8. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Just make it up, you know? They could wear narwhal leather jerkins for God's sake and no one would be the wiser.

9. KiraAnn

KiraAnn Senior Member

Just to throw in alternative thinking...you need mobility and heavy infantry along the lines of Roman legions, plus cavalry. The latter may or may not be heavy; will they have stirrups?

In his exposition about the multiple kings of post Roman Britain, Gildas (I think) mentioned one who had been a charioteer of Arthur. That gives rise to my proposal: use heavy chariots - say 3-4 horses with a two wheel chariot - that carries up to 4 heavy infantry to the battle site. One is the designated driver. They dismount and fight on foot ala in their legion. Substitute cohort if you wish smaller units.