1. carsun1000

carsun1000 Active Member

In search of the mojo....

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by carsun1000, Aug 11, 2015.

Took a break from writing to concentrate on other things (life). Now I'm trying to get back to writing and every sentence, every paragraph, and the one chapter that I just wrote doesn't jive or equal my previous writing skills. The characters feel strange, descriptive actions are lacking, etc...It suddenly felt as if I have forgotten how to do it. I am halfway through my third script before I stopped writing. Writer's block, maybe?

Anyone else has been in this situation and what did you do to get your mojo back? I would like to finish what I started. Please advise. Thanks.

jannert likes this.
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Sorry, I'm still waiting to find mine.

Sounds to me like you're simply out of practice. Just write some throwaway stuff to dust off the cobwebs - stuff that doesn't matter and which doesn't carry any pressure.

carsun1000 likes this.
  3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

It's happened to me before, usually I just keep writing. There's no real way to get your mojo back that I know of - sort of like I'm never too sure how to get into a writing zone. Mostly I just start writing. Possibly/probably churning out junk until there's a moment when you write down something and say - damn, that's good and you feel like you're back to normal.
    Sometimes clearing up my writing space and stocking a few treats while I write - I like purple licorice - helps get me going. If I'm relaxed and enjoying myself maybe the writing will turn out better.

John Calligan and carsun1000 like this.
  4. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

When you go back and edit it / do 3-4 revisions it will sound a lot better. You have to finish it before you can do revisions though.

5. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I have to agree with some of the other people here. Continue to write what you think is beneath your normal mojo and it will help you to get back into gear. Once you have gotten your mojo back then you can go back edit or do rewrite on the stuff you have written.

OR

You can take some time off from your work, and give yourself random prompts and write scenes for them. Keep doing that until you feel that you are back up to your normal standard.

carsun1000 likes this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I don't know how much time has elapsed before you started writing again, but is it possible to try to regain the frame of mind you were in when you did your original writing? It sounds as if your initial enthusiasm for the story has worn off, and you're just 'writing' now because you want to finish it? It sounds as if it's your frame of mind, not your writing skills, that may be the problem.

Lewdog likes this.
  7. carsun1000

carsun1000 Active Member

You might just be right. Thinking about waiting till I overcome the obstacle in my way which I think is causing me to have a mental block at this point. Thanks.

jannert likes this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well, good luck. If you've had major outside difficulties to deal with, it's only natural your writing will be affected by your state of mind. You'll just discourage yourself if you try too hard to get back to writing before you're mentally and emotionally ready. This isn't the same thing as procrastination, so don't feel like it is.

You can do lots to stimulate your imagination, though. Reading other books ABOUT writing did the trick for me. Fortunately my loss of 'mojo' happened after I'd finished my first (and second) draft, mainly due to pressures at work. However, once I retired, I was able to (eventually) return to the story and get working on the edit and the sequel. It did take a while, though. It was reading 'how-to' books that got me back in the groove. I kept mentally applying the principles in these books to what I'd written already, and it made me eager to get back to the fray.

carsun1000 likes this.
  9. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Yeah - my suggestion is just keep forcing yourself to write. If one story is giving you problems, take a break for a week and try writing something different until you miss the original (that worked for me but can be dangerous). But mostly keep writing and get back in the swing of it.

carsun1000 likes this.
  10. Samson Michael

Samson Michael Member

Lacking "mojo" might not be the problem. I had a novel with similar issue as your script. Sometimes, the inspiration for a certain story dissipates over time. I've been stuck on the same part in that novel for almost 4 months now. Believe me when I tell you, there are days that I've thought of just deleting the file and starting from scratch. As the writer, you know when a story is working and when it isn't. Some stories, no matter how involved you become, simply stop working. It's sucks that sometimes stories end up like that, especially when you become so accustomed to writing it that you find yourself struggling to write anything else as well. I'm not saying give up on your script, but if you feel like you can't reach the level you were once at, maybe you should try and pinpoint what made the parts you like different from the parts you're writing now, maybe it will make something click in your brain. Coming back to a story after a long period of time can be difficult. The ideas you once had, tend to have long since been forgotten, thus, the writing tends to falter. I will also say, on a lighter note, that sometimes the lost inspiration can come back as sporadically as it dissipated, if the script is meant to be finished it will be finished. Don't give up, and remember that you are also your worst critic.

carsun1000 likes this.