1. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

In This Cold Winter, Let's Remember Those That Aren't So Lucky...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JJ_Maxx, Jan 4, 2014.

Hey guys, found this really cool video on YouTube about making backpacks for the homeless for less than $20. I can't imagine what a gift like this would do for a person with nothing.

I'm definitely going to hit up my local Salvation Army and try this out. I may add a pocket New Testament as well, because they only run a few dollars.

TDFuhringer and TessaT like this.
  2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

This is a good idea, but please don't include the New Testament. Mixing religious stuff with charity leaves a bad taste in my mouth. There's this homeless shelter near my city that makes homeless people listen to sermons before they're given food to eat. That's just wrong.

Anyway, like I said, the backpack thing is a good idea.

TDFuhringer, outsider and jannert like this.
  3. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Great idea, but personally I'd value a chapstick or an extra jar of peanut butter more than the assumption that I might benefit from a copy of a religious text. Sorry, J.J. I don't mean to be rude. I do realise that you say the above with the best of intentions.

I ended up on the streets as a teenager. A copy of the New Testament is much easier to procure, believe it or not, than a dry pair of socks.

TDFuhringer, KaTrian and jannert like this.
  4. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I respect the fact that you don't personally feel it's important, but to me it's more important than anything. My job is to plant the seed, then I leave it to God whether that seed takes root. I don't force them to read it, but I pray that God impresses upon their heart to do so. Because even though they are going through difficult times, there is One who gives peace that exceeds understanding. ;)

Andrae Smith and Garball like this.
  5. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I appreciate your thoughts. :)

6. We Are Cartographers

We Are Cartographers Active Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  7. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

The most important part. ;)

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Just ask yourself: What would Jesus do?

9. TessaT

TessaT Senior Member

I think it's a great idea, and it's not too much that someone on a budget couldn't do it. It's also just the sort of thing that @Duchess-Yukine-Suoh is always talking about.

The only thing for me is that I don't have a car, so I'd always have to carry around an extra backpack. I wonder if a fanny pak/smaller zip-up bag would be just as useful as the backpack.

Thanks for sharing, JJ!

10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I think backpacks or any other help you can offer the homeless is a great idea—but I echo the others who say that including a Bible (any portion) is not a good idea. It smacks of emotional blackmail, actually—and of ulterior motive on the part of the 'giver.'

Most people who are not religious, or who follow other religions have chosen this option—it's not because they've not been exposed to Christianity. I understand you're a Christian @JJ_Maxx, but how would you feel if it was YOU on the street, through no fault of your own, desperate for food to get you through another day or something to keep you from freezing, and a backpack appeared ...a miracle ...with a copy of the Koran, or some shamanistic token, or a copy of The Book of Mormon, or a copy of one of Richard Dawkins's books included? Maybe you'd be happy enough to embrace the faith of the person who gave you the backpack, but if you've already decided upon your own religious views, this inclusion would only make you feel patronised and angry. Wouldn't it? I very much doubt if it would convert you.

I think if you concentrate on being Christian yourself, and worry less about the beliefs of others, you'll be on the right track.

ChickenFreak and thirdwind like this.
  11. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Mark 16:15
    “And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel to every creature."
    Sorry guys, I know most of you think your on the right track, but you're not going to persuade me. As I said, it is not blackmail or coercion or guilt or anything like that, it is helping others in the name of Jesus. So feel free to discuss the other contents of the pack, but as far as the life-giving good news of Jesus, I will not leave that important part out. ;)

12. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

@everyone-JJMAX.

You guys will find ANYTHING to complain about, won't you? Pretty sure there's no law in the U.S against offering anyone a free book. If someone wants to jump off a bridge, do you let him? Why don't you give whatever charity you see fit and JJ will do the same.

JJ_Maxx likes this.
  13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yes, of course, everybody will do what they want on this issue. The KKK might well decide to start distributing backpacks to worthy individuals, in order to give their organisation a good name. McDonald's hamburgers might well do the same. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

I just find 'giving' to promote an organisation or entity's name it a bit icky, that's all. It's taking advantage of another person's misfortune to promote your favourite Whatever.

I'd much prefer to see people giving without any emotional strings attached, so that the recipient has an easier time, feels less cold and hungry, and maybe even feels comforted because somebody (anonymously) took the time and trouble to think of their situation? Instead of using gifts (and the recipient's desperate need) as an opportunity to promote a philosophy or particular organisation?

But that's just me ...and several others on this thread as well. Incidentally, yes, I did donate (and continue to donate) anonymously to homeless charities, especially Shelter. Shelter operates independently of religion, politics, etc. They just want to help.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  14. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

And I'm pretty sure the U.S. has laws that allow me freedom of speech. Sorry... am I supposed to sit back and say nothing because I don't agree?

Also, I'm sure J.J. was aware of the stance some of us might take. He chose to include the detail about possibly providing a copy of the New Testament. He could have withheld that information. He didn't. (As is his right.) It troubled me, and I said so. (As is mine.)

I'm totally with @jannert on this.

TDFuhringer and jannert like this.
  15. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Including the New Testament in the pack is not some sort of emotional coercion or propaganda. It is a gift of its own. The NT is chock full of messages that can bring joy and hope into anybody's heart in the most desperate of hours. The tuna can satiate you for a day. Hope and happiness can change your life.

123456789 and JJ_Maxx like this.
  16. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Sounds like a lot of people in this thread would have a problem with the YMCA or the Salvation Army, both which do charitable work with a Christian message.

There are countless other organizations that do charity and help people because of the example of Jesus. Millions and millions of people have received both physical and spiritual care from these people.

Some people just really dislike religion I suppose.

17. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I know! When I read this, I was all, "Hey! @JJ_Maxx is taking my job as resident charity person!" JK. :D

On the whole "New Testament" thingy, just remember it's an extra. I can't convert a kitten, but I think that socializing it still counts as a good deed.;)

I actually read an article where people make packs for poor children, so that they have food to eat over the weekend because I am charity-obsessed.

I could help you figure out what to put and where to buy the supplies, JJ.

TessaT and JJ_Maxx like this.
  18. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Can't grasp the full import of the Greek without the Hebrew. If you're gonna give someone a bible, might as well give them the whole thing. Reading the book of Ruth could be pretty uplifting to someone with nothing. Just my opinion on that.

Otherwise, seems like a worthy endeavor all together!

19. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

While the Old Testament is important, it is just a precursor to Jesus. The New Testament contains the Gospel message, which is all men need to know to be saved.

20. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Everyone is going on about the Bible. I'm thinking of the best brand of soap for as little money as possible.............

EdFromNY likes this.
  21. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Well, I have both a Dollar Tree and a Salvation Army near my house, so I should be able to find enough supplies.

22. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

23. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

OK. Going with what @Garball said, though, both soap and wet wipes are useful, and I would even recommend those mini-Purells.

24. Pheonix

Not trying to get into a debate here, but I stick by what I've said. 2 Tim 3:16-17: All scripture is inspired of God and beneficial..."

The Bible is meant to be whole, it interprets itself, so if you don't have the whole thing, you can't understand it completely. And there are complete pocket bibles not much bigger than a New Testament that you can get.

25. Pheonix

Would a couple of those chemical hand warmer packs be a good idea too for winter?