1. idreamofalan

idreamofalan Member

[insert witty title here]

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by idreamofalan, Oct 29, 2019.

So, I'm Seren. I'm 30ish, genderfluid (he/they) and gay. Hopeless romantic and self-proclaimed writer and poet that can't function without coffee.

Things I like include Alan Cumming, Genie, gaming, reading, writing poetry, sleeping, internet, and making photo edits.

See you around the site.

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hey there. I'm not a witty title person, so that'll be somebody else's job...:)

However, I'm one of the forum moderators, and I want to welcome you to the forum. I see you're a 'fan' of Alan Cummings. Yeah. Well, I live in Scotland, so I know about him ...not only a great actor, but a good human being as well. And a very good representative of Scotland, in my opinion.

I remember the very first time I became aware of him as an actor was shortly after I arrived on these shores (back in the late 1980s.) He made a very memorable appearance on the Scottish soap opera Take The High Road, as a ...baddie! A memorable one. Nasty sarcastic piece of work, him. His unscrupulous character met a sticky end, if memory serves me right, but Alan's performance still sticks in my head. He's very vocal about supporting Scotland's independence as a nation, so I like him for that as well. I'm glad he's made a good, lucrative career for himself. He's good.

Anyway...

While you're finding your feet here, please take a look at these two links:

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

They'll help keep you on track in terms of our ways of operating, and will give you some idea as to the philosophy of the forum. We're a VERY diverse bunch of people, so I'm sure you'll be able to interact here right away and find threads that are interesting to you.

This is a good guide to them: https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

If you encounter any difficulties getting started, don't hesitate to contact me via a 'conversation' ...click my owl avatar and follow the signs. I'll do my best to help.

See you around the threads!

Cheers, Jan

3. idreamofalan

idreamofalan Member

Thank you so much. By the way, there's no S on the end of Alan's name...but anyway...

Honestly, I'm very emotionally attached to him - he's like a father figure of sorts to me, among other things.

4. jannert

You're right about the 's.' (I blame autocorrect. :) )

idreamofalan likes this.
  5. jannert

You might enjoy this, then....

idreamofalan likes this.
  6. idreamofalan

idreamofalan Member

I...oh my god. Error 404; speech.exe not found. :love:

Some Guy and jannert like this.
  7. jannert

One of the things I remember about his 'baddie' character in TtHR is how much I WANTED to like him, even though it was obvious he wasn't a nice person. He was very charismatic. One of the baddies I'd hoped would come good. Alas, not to be....

8. idreamofalan

idreamofalan Member

...oh my god is that even possible?

Also I'm embarrassed but I thought you meant The High Life at first.

9. jannert

"Take the High Road" was an extremely entertaining Scottish soap which was in its heyday when I moved to Scotland in 1986. I was captivated by how different soaps in the UK are to the ones in the USA (which I was forced to watch one summer, at my workplace during lunch hour, and never fully recovered from.) Not only were the UK soaps about ordinary folks—beautiful people are thin on the ground—but storylines moved quickly. In fact, if you missed an episode you could easily miss the culmination of some storyline etc.

High Road was also very amusing, lots of laughs. I stuck with it till it finally ended, although it was better earlier on. A few personality transplants took place over the last few years that were annoying. But it was still fun, right up to the end.

I watched a few other British soaps as well (Eastenders and Coronation Street), at least for the first few years I was here. But I lost interest eventually. I actually don't watch TV at all any more ...to the extent that the last time I tried, I had to re-learn how to use the remote!

idreamofalan and Some Guy like this.