Inspiring Grammy Performance: Macklemore

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GingerCoffee, Jan 27, 2014.

1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Um, Ginger, aren't you over 40? How can you be impressed with a girl like Miley Cryus, when you had all those extremely talented women (I DON'T HAVE TO NAME THEM, DO I?) back in your day?

Andrae Smith likes this.
  2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I think some of the vitriol that Macklemore gets has something to do with the fact that now, for some reason, it's thought of as cool and a sign of sophistication to have (or at least say you have) contrarian opinions. I know all music is subjective and you might not personally like the Macklemore and Lewis, but to describe them as doggerel? Honestly?

What I consider bad music is music I can't stand listening to, either because it's boring or it's just poorly made. Cradle of Filth, for example, are a terrible band. Their music is boring, and they sound like someone trying to smooth out a cliff with a hacksaw. Insane Clown Posse - awful band, music made by idiots. Could you honestly put Macklemore and Ryan Lewis in that same refuse-stained barrel?

Also, Mrs Cyrus isn't an amazing singer. She hasn't got a very good range anyway. There is a bit at the end of her song 'We Can't Stop' where the audio drops out, and (urgh!) it's the musical sound of someone rubbing polystyrene!

Andrae Smith likes this.
  3. 123456789

You're comparing Wendy's to McDonald's here. Some of us prefer grass fed steak dinners.

Lemex and Andrae Smith like this.
  4. Lemex

McDonalds I know to be awful food, but what on earth's 'Wendy's'?

5. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

It's another famous fast food restaurant here in the States. It's not terrible, but it's not great.
    upload_2014-2-12_2-45-1.jpeg

Lemex likes this.
  6. Lemex

Ah, got you. Sometimes I'm too British for my own good. :D

7. Andrae Smith

trust me, it's better you don't know. It means, at least I can assume, you guys don't have it. We have waaaaay too many fast food places out here. McDonalds, Burger King, Jack 'n the Box, Wendy's, Carl's Jr., In-N-Out (only on the west coast), Taco Bell, Chipotle, and more. Heck you can almost count Subway! Americans are always eating out. It is no stereotype.

Lemex likes this.
  8. 123456789

Lemex, sorry about that! I was being completely oblivious. Hopefully you get the analogy though :S

Lemex likes this.
  9. 123456789

IN-N-Out is GREAT, though. It's exactly what every fast food place should strive to be. Let's see. It doesn't rely heavily on commercials. It has a consistent menu. The potatoes are fresh. They have their own special cows they use, which is why they don't expand. They're family owned. They shut down on Easter (religion isn't a prerequisite but some sort of values are). They're only in a specific region and have no greedy desire to expand. They have a secret menu. The kids who work there are happy. The girls who eat there are cute and the weather outside is usually nice (which has nothing to do with IN-N-Out specifically but, you know, California is awesome).

minstrel and Andrae Smith like this.
  10. Andrae Smith

Believe me, I know exactly what you're talking about! :D I'm glad too, because I'm used to everything being about places I've never seen before. In-N-Out is the best, I think, but I've just lost most of my appetite for fast food.

123456789 likes this.
  11. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

I see what you mean by this, which is fair enough. Ironically, I would say Macklemore is the one trying to be cool/contrarian/sophisticated/hip by going against the grain of traditional hip-hop. It's his prerogative to write whatever the hell kind of music he wants, of course, but in a way he's sort of biting the hand that feeds him as well as catering to a different demographic.

I'm not trying to be contrarian or cynical by the way, I think his songs are catchy - at least the chorus and beats are...

12. Lemex

I suppose. I don't think he's trying to be sophisticated (he's not sophisticated - if he is trying, he's very bad at it) but rap and modern music has been needing a change, I remember the dark years of 2011 and 2012 when all you heard on the radio was songs of excess and rambling on and on and on about going to 'the club'. And then to have this silly song about wearing old people's clothing and visiting second hand shops with $20. It was refreshing.

As is Lupe Fiasco and his very clever lyrics about social issues. I like Lupe more than Macklemore, far more, but I put both of them above the stock and tired rubbish that they are breaking away from.

Andrae Smith and Mackers like this.
  13. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Do you have a maximum quota of singers you are allowed to like? :confused:

I realize people do have different tastes in music but I can't help thinking some of the comments about Cyrus lacking talent mirror those in the old clips they've been playing for the Beatles' 50 yr anniversary coming to the US.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  14. GingerCoffee

As for Macklemore being popular because of a 'contrarian' opinion, perhaps those of you east of the pond don't realize the gay rights movement is very active over here right now. It's emotional for people, not simply a trendy thing to do.

15. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

Sorry, I didn't say he's got a 'contrarian' opinion (Campaigning for gay rights is more populist nowadays, is it not?) I was more talking about his style going contrary to traditional hip-hop. If he wants to campaign about gay rights, fair enough...I'm not arguing against that.

16. Lemex

:rolleyes: Yeah, we in Europe don't have this issue, I forget. It's not like Scotland hasn't just legalized gay marriage and it's not been controversial or anything.

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  17. GingerCoffee

I was referring to this comment of @Lemex's

That seemed to be dismissing the particular issue as if the song was more gimmicky that substantive.

And yet your 'cool to be contrarian' comment above is rather dismissive of sincerity.

18. Lemex

:confused: How on earth ... ?!?!?!?! I ... what?!?!

The post you are quoting has nothing to do with my comment about contrarianism. It's actually just me being pretty sarcastic, and pointing out the song is socially topical this side of the pond too. Remember, this side of the pond has Vatican City. It's not like the United States is the only place on the earth that is in the process of legalizing Equal Marriage.

19. 123456789

Emotional for some, trendy for others.

20. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Macklemore will probably still get into the Hall of Fame before my boy Weird Al... It's a travesty.

21. We Are Cartographers

We Are Cartographers Active Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  22. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I actually like Wendy's, not because of the food, but because of the memories. I live very close to a Wendy's. It was cheap, so even though we never had a lot of money, mom and I could always go out to eat there, so once a week, we would go there. I have lots of good memories of being there, and relaxing from the stress of daily life. My best friend and her mom go there often too, so I see her there sometimes.

Mom and I are going there tonight actually.......

Andrae Smith likes this.
  23. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Who is Weird Al? I thought he was a comedian?

24. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

I used to reward myself with a large Frosty after swim team. That might have been counterproductive, but it sure was yummy:p

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  25. GingerCoffee

He's a comedian that delivers his comedy as song parodies.