Interesting article on self-pubbing

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by chicagoliz, Apr 4, 2013.

1. swhibs123

swhibs123 Active Member

What!? If I can't have that, I'm quitting! Success is measured by how much caviar fits on your shoe horn.

2. AVCortez

AVCortez Active Member

You and me both, man. I often look at my caviare-free shoehorn and think; why do I own that thing? I'm not running a Foot Locker.

... I'm kidding, I can't afford a shoehorn :(.

3. Hambone

Hambone Member

I understand what you are saying. But when writers advertise their work on a basic social media website like FB two or three times a day for the same book over a year now, it gets old. I would guess this person has other forms of social media to advertise. I assume that any of his FB friends that wanted to read the book already have (including me), at this point it seems he is beating a dead horse.

4. AVCortez

AVCortez Active Member

Totally agree. What I'm saying is this horse beater is a moron. This person should be advertising free and solid content through facebook - writing articles that help people with their craft, reviewing other books, giving insight into their own life. If I read a kickass article about how stupid or magnificent something is, I'm much more likely to look into who the author is. I spend so much time on the internet I don't even see adds any more, and I'm sure that I'm not alone. People respond to content. Authors have to validate themselves on social media, show people why they are worth following; are they funny? Insightful? Up-to-date?

Social media marketing is its own beast, and shameless self promotion shows a blatant lack of understanding about not only social media, but people in general. Adds on TV piss people off, it escapes me that they can't see adds on facebook would piss people off too.

EDIT: just realized you said that the feller was you friend - Just letting you know I mean no insult to him. Speaking in generalities here.

5. Hambone

Hambone Member

No insult taken at all. Just a person from my area. I supported him when he first told FB about the book, which is fine. But its been kind of "over and over" about the same book.

Thanks for your insights.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Way beyond dead horse, to Alpo...

7. lettuce head

lettuce head Active Member

I'm so out of the loop I never knew you could use a shoe horn in such a way.

They say it takes the average person five to seven times to heard or read about a product before they buy. I used to have a chart on it that made real sense. How you reach a customers makes a difference. Your suggestion above are way better than slamming the same hammer all the time.

8. lettuce head

lettuce head Active Member

Dog food?

9. AVCortez

AVCortez Active Member

Dogs love horse meat.