Interesting question about redemption.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by GH0ST, Aug 14, 2017.

1. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I'm not going to lie. I was excited a little.

Trish likes this.
  2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

It is a little boring around here today. Could've been fun. ;)

3. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

Random thoughts about redemption.

Harmony from Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel basically gets redeemed through the power of peer pressure. She winds up in a social circle that'll put up with her if she follows their moral code, so she does. I love how petty and silly her reason for turning good is, and how it still totally fits her character.

I don't like 'love redeems'. As an aromantic person, I feel like it supports the 'aromantic = evil' stereotype. Falling in love, by itself, shouldn't make a character turn good. It could be the catalyst, but they should have other factors as well.

I like characters who flip-flop, or have false starts at their redemption, because changing an enduring pattern of behavior isn't easy.

4. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender I always thought was good. He's staying with an enemy family who have no idea who he is, and has a heartfelt conversation with their daughter about how evil his home country is. You think it's building up to some great realisation or act of kindness, but no - he steals their animal and rides it around for half the season. Even when he does try to join the heroes, they don't accept him right away.

And as an added bonus, @Ettina - hello, fellow aromantic, by the way! - he actually has to leave his girlfriend behind to redeem himself!

5. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

Falling in love doesn't change anyone. People change hoping to make or keep the other in love with them.

6. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

Well, I'll point out that "love redeems" can apply to far more than romantic or sexual love. Not that those other forms are anywhere near as common.