Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al-khataei

al-khataei New Member

Intro Development

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by al-khataei, Apr 6, 2020.

Can I get feedback for this intro.
    ____

I never knew what a turn of events would change my life. For who am I? A coffee maker, son of another coffee maker and so generations of my family have done such a low ranking job, that we consider the occupational epithet akin to what İngiliz men would call surname. My father treated his epithet as if he was a Paşa. Our ancestors tell that they served great Sultans with the golden drink.
    Probably, the only thing that I could do other than making the brown meşrubat was the knowledge of letters, a very uncommon thing for a member of the coffee makers. However, I have proudly never gone to a Medrese, having learnt the knowledge from my father’s master whowas kind enough to have me taught, as his attempts to have his own son taught met fatigue; his son was a brat. The Bey was keen enough to teach me Osmanlıca and the unpoetical Fransızca and totally unwanted İngilizce. Other than this however nothing about me deserves any attention.
    The man who indeed deserves great attention is the man behind the magnifying glass: Gümrülü Hasan Bey. I met Hasan Bey through pure coincidence. He wanted a Kahveci for services and I wanted few liras.​
    ----
    İngiliz- English.
    Paşa- High-ranking state officer.
    Meşrubat- Drink.
    Medrese- Old Islamic schools.
    Bey- An important person, ranking lower than a Paşa.
    Osmanlıca- Ottoman Turkish language.
    Fransızca- French language.
    İngilizce- English language.
    Gümrülü- Of Gümrü (now, Gyumri, Armenia).
    Kahveci- Here, coffe maker (Otherwise, Coffe seller).
    Lira- Ottoman and Turkish currency.

2. al-khataei

al-khataei New Member

PS: Yep, Gümrülü is your Sherlock Holmes, here.

3. al-khataei

al-khataei New Member

And so is Kahveci Ömer Effendi, my version of Watson.

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi there! We just interacted on another thread. I'm one of the forum moderators, and I want to welcome you to the forum. You sound like an interesting person, and somebody with a perspective and story setting that I find intriguing.

However, I'm afraid I need to lock this thread for the time being. Why? As a brand new member, you're not allowed to post your work for critique. At least not yet, and not in this section. This section is for discussing the art of critique ...how to do critiques, etc.

The work itself needs to go in our Workshop area instead, and there are a few requirements you must meet before you can do that.

1) you need to have been a member here for two full weeks (14 days)

2) you need to make at least 20 posts around the forum

These two requirements are to give you time to settle in, and give us time to get to know you a bit.

And also:

3) you need to do at least two critiques yourself, before you can ask for others to critique your work. The critiques are a give AND take feature here. So the ratio of 2:1 exists ...not only for new members, but for always. If you post 2 pieces of your work, you must have done 4 critiques, etc.

If you wonder what a critique entails, this might help: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

Once you fulfill your time/posting requirements to become a full Member, your status will automatically change from New Member to Member.

In the meantime, feel free to browse the forum and enter in to other discussions as you see fit. Also you might want to read and vote on our latest contest entries (short story, flash fiction and poetry). As a new member you are also free to enter the contests. They are not only fun, but they'll give you an idea of what our members do here.

Please DO take the time to read these two links:

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

And if you have any difficulties getting settled, let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Once you have your full Membership and have done at least two critiques, let me know and I will move this thread into the Workshop for you, open it up, and you can get the feedback you're looking for.

Cheers for now,

Jan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.