Is everyone a writer?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by deadrats, Jul 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lathebiosas

lathebiosas New Member

are you suggesting that a person can only have one gender at a time? that's very cissexist of you

2. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Not to be picky, but it's "its flaws," not "it's flaws." But you were probably doing that to demonstrate the nature of these flaws, right?

I agree that one is a writer to the extent that one takes their craft seriously. Any craftsman tries to make their next project a better one than the previous one, never content that the previous one is a masterwork and need not be surpassed. I build guitars as a pastime, and I've never made a perfect on yet, but am always hoping to make the next one flawless --- or at least less flawed than the last one.

(Is "their" a flaw, as used in the last paragraph? I suppose that worrying about it might, by my definition, validate me as a writer.)

3. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

No, you're right on the typos. Worrying about the mistakes is not what I meant, but the pursuit of perfecting one's writing. That's pretty vague as the perfection in and of itself varies from person to person and also what perfection of one's writing means to each writer.

4. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Regardless of how man genders a lover has, referring to them by the singular "they" would have been less grammatically awkward. A "he/she" kinda sounds like something that that one uncle we all have might rant about after he's had too many drinks at the family reunion.