1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Is Illoni a good name for a Fantasy Charcter?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Fullmetal Xeno, Jul 21, 2011.

Well i have a question about a charcter for my fantasy novel i named Illoni, (pronounced (ill*o*ny) do you think this type of name is good for a character?

Edit: It's a Female Charcter. :D

2. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Not for a male.

3. Fullmetal Xeno

Oh yeah, i forgot to add in there that it was a female charcter. :D I was thinking a step ahead but i didn't quite type all of it.

4. art

art Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I quite like it.
    It's pronounceable. The physical arrangement of the letters on the page is quite appealing. It sounds not unlike other (more mundane) female names (Melanie etc). The i ending lends it a sheen of cool.

5. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Spell it differently though, when I look at it it looks like:

Ill-oh-noy.

6. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

I didn't get the pronunciation right first time (I read it as: ee-loh-nee) and the second time (where I got it right) it just made me think of Illinois so it looks more like a place name than a character name to me.

7. Fullmetal Xeno

Like change it where it doesn't sound similar to Illinois? XD I see what your saying, kinda like (Il-oh-ni) Ilohni?

8. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Simple short and sweet, it works.

9. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I hear Illoni as ill-oh-nee, not Illonois, but the Ilohni spelling works fine too.

I like it. Different enough to seem fantasy, but not so weird that it's impossible to pronounce or seems like it's trying too hard.

10. Protar

Protar Active Member

I like it. It doesn't sound too weird but still fantasyish. Don't worry too much about pronunciation. As this is written word people will probably pronounce it differently to you anyway. Let people make their own decisions.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

What do you think? No, really. It's your story.

12. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Expectable, but yeah do what you feel is right.

13. Deleth

Deleth New Member

Like Cogito said, it's your story.

However, I would add that if the name FEELS right to YOU. Then it is the character's name. I've changed my main character's name 4 times before I found the one that fits. Just go with what works :D

14. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

The name is beautiful, and sounds like a name for an elf in Tolkien's Middle-Earth. But there's nothing that says YOUR fantasy world needs to have names like that. Your character could be named Djabila Ibn-Ashrim, Ying-Chung Chang, Oromi Suzu, Whispering Starling, Kalliphora, Ekaja Patal, Karin Sigurdsdottir, Charlotte Baker, or anything else that fits into your fantasy world.

What names people use depend on the history of the country where they live and what language they speak. If the fantasy world has nothing resembling English, using ordinary English names such as George and Elizabeth may sound a little silly, but if your fantasy world is, for example, an alternate version of 15th century England, those names fit in perfectly.

Tolkien uses names like Legolas, Arwen, Tinuviel, and so on, because they fit in with his fictional elven languages. Naming a human or hobbit "Illoni" would sound odd in Tolkien's world, but in your fictional world, it may be perfectly fine, as long as it's consistent with other names.

15. Drusilla

Drusilla Active Member

I think all names can work for fantasy. Even normal names like Jane and Elizabeth if it is the right setting. If it is low fantasy like Harry Potter and Narnia, there will always be someone with normal names. If it is high fantasy, the names don't have to sound a certain way to work. You don't have to give your characters medieval sounding names.

I think Illoni will work for a fantasy character, male or female. It all depends on what you want the name to be. I've never heard of it before. Did you invent it? I also invent some names.

16. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

I think any name is good, as long as people can pronounce most of them, the occasional exotic pronunciation for a special character is alright. Don't overwhelm people with alphabet soup names.
    "ilgotinashutisolgyashia" or something similar to a random alphabet drop would not be good.

The one thing I try to do when creating or finding a name is make male names masculine and female names feminine. (except maybe for aggressive type humanoids-orcs, Klingons,etc where both men and women are expected to be dominating.)

Actually you created a name similar to Illani
    http://www.mybaby.net.au/baby-name-full-detail/illani/70270/1
    This sight lists alot names tied to this one.

Change some letters from real names and thats how new names are formed.

17. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I think Illoni works fine without going to extreme spellings. the original spelling to me is way more beautiful than Ilohni, that sounds like a males name, like Johnny. But it's your choice of course.

18. Fullmetal Xeno

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I didn't think this charcter's name would get such acclaim. Thanks so much :D