Tags:
  1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Is it a good idea to submit a first chapter...?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by J.T. Woody, Feb 13, 2020.

Technically, this "first chapter" started out as a short story...but then I continued it but that's beside the point: is it a good idea to send a first chapter out for submission?

I've come across a few books here in the library that credit some of the content as being from a journal/magazine that they've continued. Or that use characters from a short story they've submitted.

Would this cause problems if, lets say, down the long, long road when the novel is finished, I wanted to get it published?

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

It won't cause problems. It will actually help you if you can sell it to the right publication. It's important that your chapter stand alone as a short story. I also wouldn't mention it's part of a larger work. I have a few friends who have been contacted by agents who read their stories. That's when you would tell the agent your working on a novel that takes the story beyond that chapter. I know some other writers who placed several chapters with publications before getting a book deal. It can happen, and it's a good way to make that happen.

I'm going to PM you a place to try that I know agents are reading looking for fresh talent. Not an easy place to get into, but worth trying. They've rejected me like twenty times, but maybe you have what they're looking for. Good luck!

3. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Considering online retailers like Amazon and others often have the first chapter accessible for your perusal in helping you decide whether you want to buy a book or not, it seems like it's becoming less of a barrier.

If you're feeling worried, just change an aspect or some of the writing in the chapter that was the short story. It wont solve the problem, but it might ease it.
    I think you only have to really worry if you put the short story version in a publication that then makes you money, since then there is a copyright conflict.

4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

No. When you sell a story to a journal or magazine they buy first rights. You just have to say somewhere where the chapter first appeared. There is no problem at all when it comes to rights or making money if it later becomes part of a novel. in fact, no changes are needed to the writing, unless, of course, there's anything you want to change.

5. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Oops, sorry Ratty, For some bizarre reason I must've skip-skimmed the first couple of your sentences.
    I think what did it was my eyes being drawn to wondering who the publisher was that you were going to PM her hehe

deadrats likes this.