1. Kimi-chan

Kimi-chan New Member

Is it a good idea?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Kimi-chan, Nov 22, 2011.

I've always wanted to have my stories published but... the problem with that is then it will increase your fame. I can barely handle being able to deal with crowds, sensory issues and all sorts of things. I have the mental mind of a child and that kind of makes it harder as well. I just want to know the advantages to being published and the disadvantages so that I can be sure if its what I really want.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

getting a story or two published will not make you famous, unless a book you write hits the bestseller list... and even then, that won't necessarily make you recognizable to anyone, or cause crowds to gather... authors tend to be invisible to the general public, unless they promote themselves as much as stephen king has, for instance...

so, letting a fear of becoming famous stop you from writing or submitting your work is most likely just an excuse not to do the work, since there's so little [or no] chance of that happening...

the advantages of being published are:
    1. making money
    2. the satisfaction of getting people to read what you write

the disadvantages are:

[yes, that's right... there are none!]

3. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I fixed it for you.

4. Kimi-chan

Kimi-chan New Member

I was just curious... I don't think I'm a good enough writer to try and get published yet. XD It's just something I've been thinking about but I don't know that much about getting published. x.x

5. Bob Magness

Bob Magness New Member

Most of my favorite authors I wouldn't recognize on the street.

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Most of my favourite authors, I'm friends with on Facebook.

Obviously it depends what you're writing, but I don't think people become famous from writing short stories. And as far as novels go- well, look at the number on the shelves in your nearest bookshop. How many of those names do you even recognise?

7. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

You can also get published under a pseudonym and have the publisher protect your identity.
    This is an option I'm still considering for myself and get more and more convinced to choose.

8. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

My favourite author has an ambiguous gender because the one picture I've seen isn't really definitive.

9. joanna

joanna Active Member

"1. making money (which is possible with a regular job that will actually stimulate the economy in a positive way)"

Aside from the fact that book sales contribute to the stimulation of the economy, getting published gives you the opportunity to tell the world something meaningful. Getting paid to offer the world thought-provoking stories is a little better than a regular job that stimulates the economy. Part of the reason I write in addition to just working.

"2. the satisfaction of getting people to read what you write (which you can get/do without being published)"

Getting published is a far more effective way to get people to read what you've written than not getting published.

10. joanna

joanna Active Member

"I've always wanted to have my stories published but... the problem with that is then it will increase your fame. I can barely handle being able to deal with crowds, sensory issues and all sorts of things."

Worrying about an excess of future fame as an unpublished writer is kind of like worrying about going to a petting zoo and being trampled by zebras.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

or going to a rock concert and worrying that you'll be trampled by fans wanting your autograph!

12. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

If I were that worried about being hounded by paparazzi etc, I'd probably use a pseudonym. And even if that weren't enough to protect me, I'd still not let a phobia hold me back. And always remember, if you let your fear hold you back from anything, then it wins and you lose.

Cheers.