1. i'Tellaedhel

i'Tellaedhel New Member

Is it motivation, or is it only me?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by i'Tellaedhel, Jan 17, 2012.

Fellow writers,

I would like to believe that I am one, actually that I will become one as the time goes on. First of all I wanted to introduce myself, somewhat, since this i actually my first ever post on this forums. I am, as you may see (hopefully not), coming from a non-English country, but am living in the USA at the moment (have been for 6 years or so). Regardless of my background, I decided to write in English, which many would question, but I certainly hope that some would understand. I don't see the book having much recognition being in my native language, which is happened to be Serbian. So, please don't be harsh.

I started writing awhile ago and haven't written much. I have a decent idea, a neat plot is there but I lack motivation. I really lack motivation. I cannot make myself sit and write. Every now and then I'd get motivated enough for a paragraph or two, or even a page, but not much more then that. I also know that if I wanted to write the whole story, I could, it is just impossible for me to take myself for serious and make myself do it. I have no more then 30 pages, around 5 chapters all together, and have not actually started the action that I have been planning to introduce to the readers. I am sort of taking it slowly, having somewhat separated chapters with different little stories, that for now revolve around my protagonist. It starts all nice and slowly and one after another chapters become a nice logical chain of events that actually makes sense. Well, I shall stop now, to avoid possible confusion. :redface:

My questions are simple, but the answers might not be. Anyway, I do expect to learn a lot from you fellows, since you seem like a valuable pack to have around. Well, how to motivate myself and would it alright if I post the beginning of my story on here, and where, so I can get some inputs from more experienced writers (which is probably most of you from around this area ;)). That is all I am going to bother you for now. Have a good night and I wish you clear minds (or whatever one writer says to another, wishing him good concentration :redface:).

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it was hard to find any questions in all that, but you seem to be asking if you can post some writing work... the answer is, 'yes, but not yet'...

as for how to motivate yourself to become a writer, the best and really only way is to read...

you need to ask a moderator to move this introduction down to the correct section at the bottom of the sections menu page, where you'll find the site rules 'n regs and learn when/how/where you can post your work for review...

meanwhile, welcome to the forums!

love and hugs, maia

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

The motivation should come from within yourself. Do you actually want to write? Or do you want to become a writer?
    Does this particular story you are about to write really make you feel enthusiastic about it, do you feel strongly about it? If not, why?
    Would writing something else make it easier? (=is it just the wrong story to start with?)
    I agree with mammamaia: read.

4. akexodia

akexodia Member

Hey! I dont think anyone would question your step of writing in English. It's not what language one writes in...It's WHAT one writes. The way you let your thoughts take the shape of the story or poem is what matters here.
    And as far as the motivation is concerned, I think you should try to write whenever you're in the mood to write. be it for 15 minutes. but whenever you do, you HAVE to write) . Now, that depends from person to person. Someone might be in the 'writing rhythm' only for a little time for a day and someone else maybe for hours. The point is, never force yourself to write when you dont feel like writing.

One thing that always works for me is music. Listen to some songs that go with the scene you're trying to write. For instance, Put on some soft music when you're writing romantic scene. That'll allow you to drown yourself in whatever that you're writing.

5. i'Tellaedhel

i'Tellaedhel New Member

Thank you guys for taking time to respond. I have been reading and I have to admit that does inspire my writing a bunch. few chapters in and I feel like I want to write again and again... I want to write, I want to share a story, I want to give some joy to, at least, people I know. I have a decent plot and it sounds like something I would like to read about.

Tesoro, I hope I answer your questions. The story, if finished, would give me lots of joy. But it is getting there that makes me worried. I always had problems on concentrated on one thing only. I used to be much worse when it comes to the ongoing disruptions, I'd get carried away in a heart beat. I like the idea of writing whenever I feel like it akexodia, but it is hard to put my mind to it. Maybe I am not ready for it just yet. I do think I know what to write about in the next few chapters, however, I have an issue with perfectionism. I wish I can write a paragraph without proof reading it immediately. I have read that good books take anywhere between 5-10 edits. This is still a first draft and I feel I am spending too much time returning to the chapter I am currently working on. If I start a chapter and I stop before its finished, I tend to go back to it and make changes until I am done with that certain chapter. I wish I wasn't like that. I found it much more satisfying if I finish a chapter in less sittings, at least I modify less and write more. The music advice, akexodia, I might try tonight. I haven't tried that yet. Hopefully it will work.

I am glad to be here.

6. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

The mere fact that you think about this story, that you outlined it and that you keep coming back to it, means you are a writer. But doing everything by yourself, no agent, no advance, no prior experience, not to mention real life obligations, makes it pretty difficult. But I think your personal history gives you an unique perspective, and I for one am on the lookout for a good book to read, so I say - keep writing! :)
    On one hand, to someone who is a perfectionist (guilty!) it seems like so much work, but it doesn't matter whether you are revising what you wrote as you go, or you have second, third, fourth and fifth draft, different people write differently, but to write a truly good book, it takes a long time and it is a struggle.
    As far as motivating yourself, I am sure you know a legendary Serbian writer Ivo Andric, who wrote some amazing novels. He would get up in the morning, put his suit on, sit at his desk and write for 8 hours, 9-5, every weekday. He felt it was a job like any other, and even if he ended up staring at the blank piece of paper all day, still, he did it. Lots of writers say this is a way to do it, to develop a work ethic around it and just do it :)

7. i'Tellaedhel

i'Tellaedhel New Member

Hey jazzabel, and that is the post I was looking for :) this is what I needed. Well, I don now Ivo and I love his work. I haven't had a clue that he wrote 8 hrs 9-5 every day. That is some determination and loyalty. No wonder he's won a Nobel price :) I doubt I could do anything even close to that, living in this capitalistic world and time, full of evil side pleasures... its impossible. Nevertheless, what I will try to do, and I've heard it is a good way to do it, is to dedicate a certain time of the day to writing. Every day, even when I don't feel like it. Sit and write, because the worst written story is better then the best story that never got written. Thank you jazzabel.

8. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

My pleasure! I am glad it helped :)