Is It Okay To Be a Bit Lazy?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by LastMindToSanity, Feb 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FifthofAscalante

FifthofAscalante Member

If you had never heard a Russian, and a Scotsman speaking, would it bother you if their accents were swapped? Now, be honest. Of course it wouldn’t, because that would be the norm to you. So, fictional people speaking fictional languages shouldn’t be a problem, unless their culture is inconsistent or unrealistic. Manticore is the personification of oddity and a mixed bag, yet it’s all accepted and somehow fits.

2. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

They do in Wales :crazy: Cwmtwrch, Bwlchgwyn, Ysbyty Ystwyth, Ynysybwl...
    :supergrin:

xanadu and FifthofAscalante like this.
  3. animagus_kitty

animagus_kitty Senior Member

Mages who can teleport are called Bavegen in my book. This comes from the German word for 'to move', which is something like Bewegen. I didn't want to use that specific word, but I felt like when German people read it and they see a word that sounds like it could come from their language, that would probably be cool for them. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always feel clever when I get something the author's made tangential references to.

My two bouncers are Bastion and Castille, words for 'castle'. This one's probably a little odder, for Dragon, but it didn't seem too strange for how I normally hear names.

Just using a word can be weird, like Dragon said; but aiming for the feel of a word? I would aim for that. If you like the way something sounds, misspell it. Several of my names look weird or fantastic, but they're just misspelled normal names. Like 'Darik' instead of "Derrick', or 'Natham' instead of 'Nathan'.

((edit: changed 'futuristic' to 'fantastic'. someday i'll use the right word the first time.)