1. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

Is it weird that I want to 'start over' ?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by naruzeldamaster, Mar 18, 2023.

I understand that the concept of writing is to re-write.
    But generally the order of operations is to finish a draft before starting a second draft.
    I've recently hit a 'snag' in my plot and I keep procrastinating getting through it.
    Last night I was toying with the idea of just...starting over, from scratch.

I'm thinking of little details about the two main characters that I want to do differently, or how this or that scene could be slightly better, little things like that.

I actually feel like I want the two main characters to run into eachother more (in the first draft I jump straight to the 'big' heist where they're forced to cooperate) and build tension between them. (since it's an 'opposites attract' style love story) I also want them to not instantly know that the other is a master thief (that also kinda spoils the tension between them and their methods being opposites)

My heart is saying 'wait and see' but my brain is saying 'this and that could be better' ._.

2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I think you answered your own question. The story is the thing, and if it isn't the tale you want to tell, I'd start over.

Set2Stun and w. bogart like this.
  3. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    When I hit a snag, I started editing, from the beginning. After carefully going through everything I'd written to that point, fixing it up as I went along, by the time I got to the place where I'd gotten stuck, I knew exactly where to go from there.

If you're considering several major changes, re-writing/starting over might be best. Keep a copy of the original and give it a shot from the beginning.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  4. naruzeldamaster

Yeah, though if I do start over I still need to figure out how to get past that scene that's blocking me.
    Let's just say I'm going for a particular tone (somewhat comedic and a little bit fourth-wall break-y (the characters reference things like 'the audience' and 'the viewers at home' but nothing on the level of like, dead pool) but also serious) and I think a few of my scenes break that tone in the wrong way.
    I'm not even sure what about the scene itself is blocking me, but part of me feels like I reached (technically) the climax too quickly? I think my biggest gripe is that the characters don't spend nearly enough time being antagonistic with eachother before they figure out how like minded they are. Not just on the whole thieving front, but like personality wise.

5. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Why do you care whether or not anyone thinks it's weird? If it is necessary, go for it. Damn the weirdness. Full speed ahead.

6. naruzeldamaster

I just feel a little odd starting a second draft in spite of not finishing my first.
    I think I will start over though and take a crack at it, if not I'll always have the original version on file anyway.
    I do think my main issue I'm having is that I didn't give the reader enough time to get to know the protagonists as individuals (most of the scenes are them interacting) well enough.
    Like it's literally two chapters before they start liking eachother. Real romance with this kind of clash of personality takes a bit longer to bud I think.

7. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

If you feel the story needs a complete rewrite then do it. A big part of that is examining what isn't working, and finding the changes that make it work. It could be as simple as changing POV. With two MCs, that could be alternating between them each chapter. Don't be afraid to write different approaches and scrap the ones that don't work.

My current Wip, went through this. I changed MCs and POVs. Once I did it flew onto the page.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  8. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

There's nothing whatever weird or wrong with rewriting your story before you've finished a total "first draft." That kind of cycling makes total sense. If you've got a new idea about what really happened in your story (vs. what you have down), go back and change it right away. For one thing, the new bit will affect what happens down the road, so why waste time writing the story without it? For another, you may forget what it is and drive yourself crazy trying to remember what it was.

And if going back now means redoing the story from the beginning, why not?

No need to get hung up over how "they" say you should write. Do what works for your story and for you.

9. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

The starting-over-blank-page approach has worked for me in the past. When a story is not working or something is wrong it's often the best thing a writer can do for a story. And, for me, it's always turned out better when I've done it. I don't believe in just plowing through a first draft and saving all the editing or rewriting/reworking a story until a first draft is done. I think that can be harder than starting over. And it's the finished product that matters. How you get there is a personal choice. The writer knows what their story needs more than anyone else. If your story needs a fresh start, give it that.