Is Space All That?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Paneera, Mar 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

Says you. Two of my favorite writers are Douglass Adams and Christopher Moore. I love satire, but damned if I can pull it off.

2. Paneera

Paneera Banned

Why was the thread messed up? It was going in the right direction then just went off kilter.

3. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

... said the guy who posted about his cat, mice and gerbils in two previous posts to the thread. :D

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. Paneera

Paneera Banned

At least it related to another's post about the nature of space/God and whether animals have a better perception about it. Lots of people think animals are more "in tune" with mother nature and God than man. "Men", meaning the male species, however can turn into sexists pigs at the drop of a hat. See what I'm talking about. The action on the planets. Or in a space ship when idle minds become bored.

5. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Women, meaning the female of the species, can become sexist pigs at the drop of a hat, too. And crude to make a Marine DI blush. I have that on good authority (my wife), who says most men would be scarred for life if they'd heard what she heard at an all-women Morris dancing camping event she once went to.

That said, people are in some ways always people, wherever and whenever. And sex is one of those ways. Good thing, too, since the survival of the species depends on it. If space is a highway, you can be dang sure there'll be sex going on in the vehicles that travel it, and on the side of the road, too.

BTW, my wife likes that conversation about breasts I posted. She has sisters, and says yeah, that kind of conversation happens. The passage amuses her, and she doesn't find it at all sexist. Like it or not, there will always be people, men and women both, who are a little insecure about their physique.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Cave Troll and Some Guy like this.
  6. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

And I know a few people that rather enjoy my genitals, but that doesn't mean I should share them with everyone here unannounced. Or, you know, at least without a spoiler tag.

7. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Are you saying the scene was inappropriate for some audiences?
    Or just should have been in spoiler block because it's long?
    If the latter, I apologize, I'm new here.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

That's what cam-sites are for. Go knock yourself in over there. :) Thanks for not sharing :D

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Rzero

Take the helm. Where would you have it go?

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Kilter... kilter... Ah! How about creatures living in space itself?

Cave Troll likes this.
  11. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Going by her metaphor nothing "lives" in Space itself. Except in that Star Trek episode with the amoeba creature. Scientists haven't found "life" in Space yet only on Mars and they are amoeba things (I'm no expert so if the scientists have found life on other planets, my bad).

I'm staying out of the off topic stuff because I recently went on sabatical for susposedly being a sexist pig. My mind has been cleared (or it was it something I was smoking?)

12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Don't agree. As long as you have more than one person on a ship, you have human relationships there. You can have a novel that takes place in transit to a planet that is just as good, complex, and focused on human relationships as one that happens on a planet.

Cave Troll likes this.
  13. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

"What's wrong, buddy? You look like a X'atar in headlights."

EDIT: Spaceship lights? Ehh, doesn't flow as well.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Cave Troll likes this.
  14. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :supergrin:
    WH40K.gif

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Interstellar space? Possible, but consider it would have to exist on starlight and background radiation. We're talking a VERY slow metabolism that would make a redwood seem as nimble as the Flash. And how large would it be? Anywhere between submicroscopic to a light year in diameter. Nothing nearby on a similar scale; like earthbound wildlife, competition for "food" would make them solitary, in the absence of improbable predators to force herding. (Predators require higher metabolisms than grazers, and interstellar space would have very little to offer compared to the fringes of interplanetary space)

Cave Troll and EBohio like this.
  16. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Actually you do agree.
    She said it in her metaphor.

I'm good at metaphors so let me explain: Space is a highway, just a means of getting from point A to Point B. But people in cars (spaceships) on the highway have relationships going on. Therefore, if you are a Sci-Fi writer your setting is Space and your "people" may be green dwarfs, but you are essentially writing about human beings and human relationships.

17. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Some people may find giant walls of text about bewbs uncomfortable, especially when it's a conversation dominated by, you know, dudes.

Cave Troll likes this.
  18. Rzero

Agreed. I'm not sure what was ever up for debate (other than the exquisitely ambiguous question in the title, "Is space all that?") Is space a highway? Are space travelers Earth travelers? Almost always, yes. Most good science fiction (arguably all science fiction) is allegory. The future is the present. Space is Earth. Aliens are human. The inventor of a human-like creation (android, mutant) is God.

All speculative realities, including alternate histories and distant futures, present the author's hypothesis on the nature of human behavior, usually the inevitability of repeating mistakes from the real world regardless of circumstance. Otherwise, you might as well write about Hobbits. (That wasn't necessarily a burn. Tolkien despised allegory in fantasy, despite the obvious parallels he drew while reinventing "the hero's journey.")

EBohio and Cave Troll like this.
  19. Radrook

Radrook Banned Contributor

Using space as a setting increases drama by pitting man against nature. The same can be accomplished via a potentially dangerous earthly setting such as an extremely hot or cold desert, a dangerously deep ocean depth, or an extreme height. Space is simply a more extotic scenario.