1. Ben Tiller

Ben Tiller New Member

Is there a way to change username?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Ben Tiller, Jan 1, 2011.

Hi,

I didn't know where to post this so i put it under 'suggestions'.

I was wondering if there's a way to change our username other than creating a new account which i obviously know i shouldn't do.

Do i have to message somebody?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

You should contact Daniel since he's the site admin.

3. Ben Tiller

Ben Tiller New Member

I messaged him like an hour ago. Is there a faster way?

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I don't think so.

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Nope, you just have to wait for him to reply. He's the only one with the admin powers necessary to do it.

6. Ben Tiller

Ben Tiller New Member

Well...been like a week and Daniel has not responded to my PM...can i make a new user?

7. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Pretty sure that's against the rules. Honestly, when it comes to things that you need Daniel to take care of, patience is key. He's a busy dude...

8. Banzai

Yeah, don't make a new account. I've let Daniel know about your request, just be a bit patient and he'll sort it.

Is it really so essential that the username be changed?

9. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

There are times when it is important to be able to change your username fast. I had an internet stalker a couple of years back, it was someone I knew in real life. Now know who they were but my internet life was miserable until I changed all my usernames.

Maybe in those circumstances we could have someway of PM'ing Daniel and deleting and creating a new account ? After all it could cause problems for the site if you have someone coming on and dogging one of the users. Internet bullying is something a lot of younger internet users seem to be subjected to these days.

10. Banzai

If that's happening, the first port of call should always be the moderators. We won't stand for that sort of thing, and in those circumstances we will take action against the offending person(s), support any legal action the victim wants to take, and absolutely allow them to create a new account.

In such a situation, a simple change of username wouldn't be much good at all, really.

11. Elgaisma

If you usually use the same username for most of your groups and the person tracking you is using it to find you it has proven very effective. Finding me on my various internet forums just takes a google search. These days it is harder because I use a variety of names, at that time you could just type in my usual sign in names which were a variation on a theme and I came up. I joined a group just afterwards and for most of us new accounts and completely different usernames has halted it. The person removed will be determined will probably come back and like with most abuse can be difficult to admit to - for me it was easy but I was 34 (it was a much younger person doing it), when you are 13, 14, 15 it is different. Especially if the person can give you a good kicking at school for it.

Speaking from experience police are unlikely to take any action, especially as the 'bully' can be in another country - they do however suggest changing username as first action.

12. Banzai

True enough, but I was referring to someone stalking/harrassing someone on one specific site (i.e. this one), in which case simply a change in username would be ineffectual, and an entirely new account would be required.

13. Elgaisma

I know it is difficult but if there is a way for someone to change their username quickly, then they can prevent it happening to them on this site in the first place, thus preventing need to create a new account. I was lucky at the time most of my sites were able to change my username overnight and it was stopped from spreading. The big problem for me wasn't the bullying it was the posting of personal information by the person (how I knew they knew me and how I tracked them down, turned out to be the daughter of a friend). With this being a volunteer site there could understandably gaps in time between the posts being made and being dealt with.

Don't know if anything can be done, my geekery knowledge is entirely out of date or through osmosis living with one. If not a simple standby of being able to delete and open a new account or something similar would help.