1. nomadpenguin

nomadpenguin Member

Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by nomadpenguin, Jun 24, 2012.

My idea, basically:

There is a man in police custody who is slightly insane. He has giant mood swings, changing between suicidal and euphoric in minutes. When he is in one of his euphoric moods, he gains Sherlock Holmes like qualities, and becomes a brilliant detective. The story would be about his police handler trying to control him for long enough to solve a murder.

Has this idea been explored before? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. What matters is how you write it: the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's absolutely no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

3. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

Well, Nomad, I haven't seen this before, that I can think of, but what would really make your story sparkle is basing the man's insanity off of a real disorder. It doesn't have to be exactly like something real, but should be drawn from real mental conditions so that the reader is really creeped out, knowing that your version of this malady is only a step away from real stuff. I mean, anybody can make up a generic mental disorder, but if you get really scientific (or scientific enough to trick your primary target audience) your story will be especially impressive.