Is this goal realistic?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Scarecrow28, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

My novel required a fair amount of research, into everything from ancient South American legends to modern-day weaponry. Luckily, I wrote the first chapter of the novel last year and have spent most of the time since then working on the plot and everything until it made some amount of sense so I have the majority of the research done. I know were the stories going and have the general idea of what I'm going to do, but I'm leaving it fairly open so I can add things in as they come to me.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I was at an in person meeting last night of a writing group, and one person told us her New Year's resolution, which I found so wonderful that I'm still thinking about it this morning.

Her goal for the year: To get 100 rejections.

I think that's so great -- it's something you yourself can control, in that it forces you to send out your work or your query letter, yet if you 'fail' at this, despite sending out at least 100 queries, and gosh darn it, someone publishes your or accepts you as a client, then that's a great bonus! And if you still work toward getting 100 rejections, after being accepted, you might get more.

Just thought I'd share, since I thought it was such a workable goal.

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

This is a good idea - But I'd reword it - send out 100 queries.
    I wouldn't want to put the whammy on every query.

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Actually, some might regard it as daring fate to provide an acceptance.

Besides, I like the fact that it's couched in terms that assure that the person is aware of the uphill struggle ahead. I like it.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

It's sort of good, but I don't write anywhere near enough to get 100 rejections. A more reasonable goal for me would be to get a couple of dozen rejections. That would require me to submit a couple of dozen times (which I can do), and still work on at least one big project which probably won't even be done at the end of the year, so it won't get even one rejection.

I gotta be reasonable about these things! :)

6. bmacd

bmacd Member

I think that's a great goal! Neat.

7. ulster

ulster New Member

That's a goal?

Okay, I understand the twisted psychology here (my opinion), but getting published is difficult enough - why sabatoge yourself?

8. chicagoliz

Well, I don't see it as as sabatoge, because as I understood her, she wasn't sending out deliberately crappy queries or intentionally poorly-written pieces with the hopes of being rejected instead of accepted. For her, and for me, the goal would be in the accomplishing of having done the work to send out 100 submissions or query letters, realizing that most of those are likely to be rejections. Therefore, when the rejections are received, they're not quite so depressing, in that they can be put in the category of getting closer to the goal. A separate, but related goal would be to have pieces accepted along the way, so if the goal were not achieved because there were too many acceptances, I doubt she'd be wallowing in tears or beating herself up about it. However, if the goal were not met due to a failure to send out that number of submissions, that would be a motivation to work harder so as to either avoid that occurrence in the future or prevent it from happening this time.

If this idea doesn't resonate with you, feel free to ignore it.

9. Cerebral

Cerebral Active Member

Seconded. I like it.

Thanks for sharing, chicagoliz!

10. onlybacon

onlybacon New Member

A goal that I see myself achieving?! YES MA'AM! Or in blog form of view.. a 100 objections.. Yep, let me just try it my way. That was a good suggestion.

11. ulster

ulster New Member

Without clarification, I misunderstood what you were saying.

As a junior member, I appreciate the offer/encouragement/friendship and welcome. Thanks.

12. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Active Member

I love her New Years Resolution. Clever little mind trick :) Going to try it out for yourself, Liz?

13. chicagoliz

My bigger goal is to get my m/s edited. Maybe I'll try a smaller number, like 50. I also have some shorts I can send out for rejections, though.

14. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

This totally wouldn't work for me, why would I set my goal so low? I can just send out 100 letters with my outline and first couple of chapters right now and by the next month I'd have accomplished that goal. Even so, 100 rejections or even queries sounds completely unrealistic if not downright depressing. I suppose different motivation works for different people. I just set the goal to write and send my first enquiry to the publisher with what I consider a finished manuscript.
    In any case, best of luck!

15. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

For which goal you write? ...

1- I am writing just for earnings

2- I am writing because I love writing

3- I am writing because I want to be a famous writer

4- I am writing because I love its prestige

5- I am writing for my own entertainment

6- I am writing because I want to be connected to other writers

7- I am writing without any propose

8- I am writing because I want to be discharged of depression.

9-I am writing to entertain readers

16. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

You missed a big one:

I have a story I need to tell.

I flip back and forth between earnings, prestige, fame, etc, but I always go back to the story I need to share.

17. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

2, 5, 9. 3 would be nice, too.

And as @Robert_S said, I have a story I need to tell. A lot of stories I like, too, but one in particular that means a lot to me.

18. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I also have many stories I need/want to tell, but I also do it for numbers 2, 5, and 9, and maybe 3 would be nice too. I'm much like minstrel, it seems.

19. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

none of the above... as i'm a practicing philosopher, i write to enlighten the readers... or at least to make them think...

20. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

I'll not choose by that list, I'd rather explain.

I write so I can tell my epic story, offer someone an escape as it does to me now and inspire people to make what they want.
    I write to entertainment me and hopefully others, which they can share with fans and discuss.
    I write so I may hopefully become a published author, and if I am so lucky make a living of what I do.
    I write so I become a better storyteller, which might just help me get a job as a story creator for game companies (if I am not able to make a living off of writing)
    I write to get a tiny to huge fanbase and see others burn for the same thing as I do.

21. Mezza

Mezza Member

I think that is a great question!

I find my reasons for writing changes from time to time. Sometimes it's because I have an idea that I need to put on paper because it's just too awesome not to write down, other times it's because I want to escape the monotony of real life (5).

I think what drew me to writing and keeps me writing is that deep down I desire reasons 3 and 4. Down in the deep places of my psyche I have a desire to write for a living, to use the written word to enlighten, entrance, and entertain. Being drawn to it and trying it I've found I enjoy it. So, yeah. I think that pretty much covers it for me.

22. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

I write to exorcise the ghosts of stories that seem to hunt me.