1. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

Is this going to congest my story?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by seelifein69, Dec 6, 2011.

I have an Egyptian story that is become a very big production in the works of my mind and notebooks! I am quite excited.

There is a lot of drama already going to happen. And I mean everyone is going to be entangled into a bunch real life bull****, and I'm actually going to use a lot of references to modern lives, (death of families, loss of job, loss of lover, unwanted pregnancy, homosexuality, questioning of authority, meaning of life, virginity and a lot more [although these are obviously things that have happened FOREVER, I'm just using my knowledge of what goes on in my life to have a reference, and then send it back 4,000 years so it fits.])

But I kinda just got a cool idea, and I didn't know if it would be too much.

I was thinking perhaps I can have the Pharaoh's very young son see the Egyptian gods working behind the scenes of life around them. Like when someone is going to die, he see's Osiris in the room, watching everyone and touching the dead body. When someone is pregnant, he see's Taweret, a hippo headed woman rubbing the woman's stomach.

I want it to be frightening to the child, and I want to make it a scary experience for some of the gods and pleasant with other's (and for instance, he is going to like one of the main characters because he see's Isis involved with her life (she's a virgin priestess), and as Isis is seen as a beautiful peaceful goddess, the child doesn't mind being around her because he see's that the girl, nor the goddess is not bad.)

Perhaps it's like a judgement of character?

And they wouldn't be there all the time, just at important times in the plot (explaining one's character, hinting to the audience about a birth or death, ect).

Is that just not right for such an ancient story?

I think that it might fit in well (but I am also a person to 'over-do' things).

What's your opinion on this?

2. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

You won't know until you start writing it. I'm also one of those pople who loves to pack a story with a million subplots. I planned meticulously, I knew every character and subplot like the back of my hand. Not until I started writing did I truly realize what works and what doesn't.

Some of the subplots I thought would come effortlessly felt forced and were given far less room on the page or dropped entirely. On the other hand, a lot of the subplots I thought would be super-complex, intricate, and lengthy turned out to be quite simple and easily resolved.

The story will take on a life of its own once you start writing. And, if you pay close attention to what it's telling you, you'll know what fits and what doesn't. All those ideas you have floating around will take shape and, chances are, it won't be what you expected.

3. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

Oh yay, I think that's the best answer I've received on this site yet. Thanks. I think I will do that.

Let me ask you, do you also over-season things while cooking? I do. I guess I'm a little over eccentric and it comes out in all my forms of expression. lol

4. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

I'm not usually one to over-season things. I taste-test as I prepare the dish, so I can tell if its shaping up how I want. And I always keep a well-stocked pantry, so whatever flavors come to mind will be available when I see a need for them. Never toss out those weird or extraneous or bizarre spices you've got. You may find a place for them yet.

(PS: In case I was't clear, this post isn't about cooking at all. ;) )

5. TemporalV01D

TemporalV01D New Member

Do it. I would LOVE to read that book if you include the kid who can see the gods, regardless of congestion. =D

Personally, I only find a plot to be congested if a lot of similar events happen to different characters in rapid succession almost continually. Even then, I doubt it would bother me too much.

You'll just have to be very clear about what's happening to whom. Be very careful not to confuse your readers. I advise that, when the work is done, get someone to read it and, at the end of each chapter, get them to retell the events of that chapter. This way you'll know whether you've conveyed the events correctly (to that person, at least, so you might want to do this with a number of people).

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it could work, but only if you make it clear to the reader that this child has an unusual ability and there's some good purpose for him to be so endowed that fits in with the plot...