1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Is this really what happens to YA Authors?

Discussion in 'Children's & Young Adult' started by Link the Writer, Dec 2, 2015.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2030-6-weird-things-you-learn-writing-young-adult-fiction.html

I read this on Cracked.com and a siren went off in my head. Both because I wasn't sure if this was legit what YA authors would have to face and the other, "Wow, it's crazy if this is actually what happens to some YA authors." Specifics include death threats from your fans or having to pose for publicity photos such as holding props you never use or standing around in places you've never been to (like an underpass or in an office.)

Just thought I'd share with you all.

2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I believe it. But this doesn't seem to be something specifically YA authors go through... Probably just authors in general.

I know title/cover is up to the publisher, and you could have little to no say in the matter. So I totally believe that one.

Hate mail and death threats? Definitely. That's all public figures, though. And as the article said, kids who read YA typically haven't developed enough to have strong social skills. So instead of saying, "Man, I love your book! I can't wait for you to write another!" They think it's equally okay, if not more flattering, to say, "I'm going to kill you if you don't write another book!" o_O... Kids are weird.

Photo shoots pair up with the above for me. Public figures have to portray a persona. And a photo shoot is your image -- "who you are" as a writer. So of course they'll throw you in scenes to make the photos more interesting! If all photographers took photos of real life, there'd be a lot of photos of people pulling their hair out and taking shots.

So yeah. In general, I believe everything the article said. lol Sad, in'it?

Link the Writer and Steerpike like this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I agree with @Lea`Brooks. Nothing here surprises me, however I don't think it is limited to YA authors. Hate mail and threats from fans? George R.R. Martin, R.A. Salvatore, and others have talked about those I believe.

4. Link the Writer

Good Lord. o_O

Making me re-think getting my book(s) published... :p

5. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

I don't think Salman Rushdie was writing YA when he had to become Joseph Anton.

6. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

I particularly liked the bit about burning manuscripts for heat. (Because I'm actually doing that!)
    I have a wood stove, so anytime I need to light a fire I use old drafts. I used to buy a newspaper now and then so I'd have paper around for that purpose, but since I started my novel I have lots of paper on hand with notes scribbled all over them.

7. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

About the first point, the one about the book covers.
    The original one looks more something I'd read and expect something a bit more adult-oriented while the second one looks more mainstream and just for fun.
    Maybe it wasn't entirely random. They probably went with how covers trend nowadays in that fantasy/YA market.

But I understand the pain.
    I have a very specific image in my head on how I want the cover to look like for my stuff and I'm afraid it'll be exactly that.
    My seventeen brown haired boy will suddenly be a twenty-something tanned hunk with flowey locks >.>

8. Bookster

Bookster Banned

I think this may have been posted here before, but it fits:

"During those first two years, I received 347 pieces of fan mail, much of it addressed simply to “Sally Mann, Lexington, VA.” These letters came with photographs, of course, but also books, journal pages, handmade clothing, 35 preserved butterflies, jewelry, hand lotion, porcupine quills, Christmas-tree lights, sharks’ teeth, recipes, paintings, a preserved bird, mummified cats, chocolate-chip cookies and a hand-painted statue of the Virgin Mary with a toothy demon on a leash."

Photographer Sally Mann, on the publication of her second book.

9. LemonadeLover

LemonadeLover Member

I remember when I was a teenager... wow some of us were absolutely crazy!

10. Inks

Inks Senior Member

One of my pieces got the attention of some irate angry person and I got my first death threat right in my box. It was very disturbing and I regret having told the family of it, they were certain that someone would come for me after I pissed them off or something. The other time I got mail from a mobster...

Honestly, you learn quick not to write back even you get good responses. While it is great that someone likes your work or it resonates with them, all it takes is one icky reaction to make you wonder about people as a whole. The whole "mummified cats" and stuff would have scared me. I never received any items in the mail, but I'd have to ask, "Why do people keep sending me this stuff!?"

Thankfully, I do not have any published fiction.

11. KhalieLa

Even when I write for the magazine I don't get to choose the title.
    I do get to use my own images sometimes, but they will pull stock photos if they think they are "more compelling" than the actual photos.
    You'd best learn to let go of title and image now--it's out of your hands.

12. Link the Writer

Damn it. >:[ So that means that rather than use my image of my MC as a black-haired, brown-skinned scrawny teen wearing loose-fitting clothing for my YA fantasy, they'll likely take her and make her into some model in skimpy tight clothing? And if it's a fantasy epic, they'll probably have her doing something she doesn't do in the story like...fly a griffon with a sword in her hand roaring at the audience from the center of the cover? (Though I'd totally read that fantasy story...) No matter what, it's out of my hands?

I mean, I get the point: they want to design it in a way that they believe will attract readers but damn...

13. KhalieLa

You mean you didn't write a story about an anorexicly thin blond girl who sports D cup, has no back story, is willing to hop into bed with anyone (and anything), and runs around in leather lingerie while killing bad guys with swords from the back of a mythical beast? What is wrong with you? ;)

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  14. Link the Writer

Hey, if I want to write about scantly-clad people running around smiting ass and porking, I'll just write a historical fiction set in Ancient Sparta. :p :D

KhalieLa and Nicoel like this.