1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Is this the place for site help?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by GingerCoffee, Mar 6, 2013.

When I try to go to 'subscriptions', I can't click on anything in the drop down menu from 'quick links' because the menu closes as soon as my cursor is off the quick link box. I tried a number of ways to get to the drop down menu without it closing and I can't seem to do it.

Thanks

2. GingerCoffee

OK, I have found that if I open the drop down menu and jerk the mouse down fast enough, I can get to the menu without it closing.

Is this some kind of skills test?:cool:

3. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I would try and help, but i'm not entirely sure what you're talking about... :redface:

4. GingerCoffee

On the menu bar just above the threads, that starts with "New Posts" and ends with "Quick Links", when you scroll your mouse cursor over "quick links" a drop down menu appears with "subscribed threads" being one of the options.

But there is a millimeter or two between the menu bar and the drop down pop-up. If I try to move the cursor to the "subscribed threads" option, the drop down menu closes as soon as the cursor hits that space.

I have been able to consistently get around it now as long as I jerk the cursor down fast enough.

I have another two questions, one, where is the right place for these technical questions, and two, I've looked at the newbie basics help pages and can't find one explaining all the symbols.

I can't figure out the blue squares highlight on the 'New Posts' page. It doesn't seem to match 'unread posts' exactly. The puzzle puzzles me.

5. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

i have to click on "quick links" for the dropdown to yep you've guessed it...drop down... no hover over for me...

6. idle

idle Active Member

Maybe you could specify what browser you are using - this might differ slightly for different browsers. For me (in Firefox and Chromium), the Quick links menu works like erebh has described: nothing on hover, I need to click it and then the menu stays displayed no matter where the mouse goes.

The "blue squares highlight" - if you mean the bluish border around avatars for some of the threads, I think I decided some time ago that it appears for posts that have a certain number of views (maybe 150+?), but I'm not sure.

7. GingerCoffee

Interesting, I get the drop down menu just putting the cursor over 'quick links'. I had already tried clicking on 'quick links' to see if it kept the drop down menu open and it didn't.

I have a Mac and I'm using Chrome.

Aha, more than 20 replies and you see the blue border. That fits. I love puzzles but I admit to a short attention span before looking up the answers. :p

8. Pheonix

I have a solution for you! (maybe :p)

Go to the bottom of the home screen, and find the drop down box that should say "WF 3.5"

Change that to "WF 3.2" and you'll have to actually click 'quick links' which should solve your problem. I've found for a lot of things the 3.2 style still works better.

And yeah, I think this is the spot to ask these questions. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I use Firefox, and have had the same problem. I have a single-click Mac mouse, and I just hold it down and move from the heading into the drop-down menu, down to the item I want to choose. Let go. Bingo. However, it's disconcerting to use at first, because the heading moves as if you're dragging and dropping it. I wonder if Firefox is the block I'm having with getting other things to work on this site. Like I can't get a Profile photo to load...grrr...

10. GingerCoffee

I tried it but holding the mouse down doesn't work, only jerking it down before the drop-down closes.

11. GingerCoffee

Wow, at first I couldn't find this, but I tried again today and it did fix the problem. I wonder what else it changes?

It's interesting, it also makes it so I have to click on 'links' to get the drop down menu where I only needed to scroll over it in the other format.

12. Pheonix

Glad it worked! :D

As for what else it changes, I'm not entirely sure... But It seems to have less annoying bugs like what you described.

13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, you have to move fast for this to work!

Oddly enough, I was having SO many problems ...then I switched from Firefox to Safari, and most of them have disappeared. I can now do quotes, and have been able to upload an avatar. So it's always worth fooling around with your browser. Safari didn't make any difference to the pull-down menus, though.