Is writing easy for you?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by SMTM, Jan 22, 2008.

1. architectus

architectus Banned

If you write someting, and you enjoyed reading it, chances are there will be other people who will also enjoy reading it.

There are so many types of writings out there that people enjoy, I think it is impossible not to find a nitch you enjoy writing.

Homely Christian topics are also popular. Many Christians make a good living writing for that nitch. My sister is a pentecostal and she enjoys reading weird stuff, but she finds Christian authors that write clean weird stories.

2. myonebadhabit

myonebadhabit New Member

I never wanted to become popular for fame or for money. With writing and music I just wanted to connect with people. I don't usually go writing my thoughts on forums but it might fill that craving of wanting to connect.

3. myonebadhabit

myonebadhabit New Member

I really appreciate how you enterwine reading and writing with your reply. It's cool how you worded that because it reminds me that for every reader there was a writer. And for every writer, God forbid, there should be a reader.

4. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

It's fine to be self concious about your writing, it's a very personal thing. But concerning the above, the want or dream to be whatever, each one of the professions you chose would put you in the line of a lot of public opinion and criticism. It sounds a little more like a want to be free of your anxieties and be accepted, rather then a want for the profession. To write, and really do it, you need to believe that you can do it. Whether you're good or bad or whatever, you have to enjoy it and if a fear of criticism is going to cause you ridiculous amounts of mental anguish then you've got to find a way to overcome that, or pick another profession.

Writing is tough, you get rejected a lot, you get flamed, you get knocked and bashed about and if you're not enjoying it and not thriving on it - then you're just causing yourself pain.

I believe, as harsh as it sounds, that not everyone has a book in them, not everyone can write and not everyone is good at it because it takes determination and dedication and lots of other -tions! :p To be good takes hard work, hard words, hard decisions. But if you're willing to take the knocks, to learn from people and believe in your own ability then you've got a chance of being a good writer. :)

You've got to write for yourself first, for your own enjoyment. What happens after that is anyone's guess - so go for it, if it makes you happy. :D

5. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

^^^ Word that.

"Not everyone can write"--actually, very few people can write. The internet (God bless its hairy little feet) has enabled large numbers of purposeless and talentless people to be able to importune the world about whether or not they can write, or will write, or should be allowed to write--or whether there is some obscure architectural niche that may provide a small space for their small writing. I mean, just look at... you know, that one guy. I forget his name. He was pretty good. Or was it a lady...? I forget... *wanders off mumbling*

6. Azated

Azated New Member

Sounds like me :p

Im a complete geek. I love computeres and im skinnier than super models, although im not anorexic. Im depressed to :p

My theory: The bigger the dream, the bigger the fall when you fail. (means dont dream)

Anyways, it sounds like your a bit depressed. Find somthing you enjoy, although it might be hard. Find a good book you love and re-read. Then, if it's a series, re-read the series. Afterwards, make a story similar to the books. Then re-draft a couple times and you have a finished product based on something you enjoy :p

7. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

Depression and social anxiety speaking here too.

Always wondering if my work is any good or is worth it. I know I write well, but if other people don't give a rip about it, then what does it matter? To me truly good writing is the writing that other people want to read. People tell me I write well, but darned if any of them can stick around and read it for long.

I don't have anyone to show it to in real life, not even my family or psychologist. So you're one up on me there.

Wondering if one is a good writer is almost a universal feeling among writers at times, it seems.

8. myonebadhabit

myonebadhabit New Member

A lot of good comments. Thanks. It steams me sometimes, to think that everyone has the answer but me. :mad: We all have good advice. It's a shame that our advice is probably best for ourselves. That's not to say that I haven't learned anything from all of the things said. I did. :)

9. Tweek

Tweek New Member

Personally, I think that depression and anxiety disorders are likely to be disproportionately higher amongst budding writers and other creatively minded people. I suffered with depression and anxiety a few years ago. The anxiety was so bad that I was pretty much a recluse for a year (not including therapy visits). I've known all along that the cause for my anxiety was my imagination. Without giving too much away, I used to come up with intricate plots how people I'd never met would be out to get me. I'm pretty sure that if I had taken the time to document them, they could quite easily have been padded out to novel proportions.

I've also read somewhere that writers are more likely to be drug addicts or alcoholics (due mainly to their inherently sensitive nature and an urge to stop thinking). Personally, I can't see this ever happening to me, but I do wish I'd stop thinking sometimes.

I don't think I've answered any of your original questions, but I hope you can identify with what I've said anyway.

Good luck!

10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Read, read, read, read, read, read, read, ad infinitum. A formidable vocabulary and mastery of one's language can be had for the price of a library card. English is not my first language, and the library was my church.

11. pookyw

pookyw New Member

Re: Writing to be a good writer

I have to agree with this - in fact, I was watching a video on YouTube of Stephen King yesterday and he said exactly this - if you want to be a writer, you have to read everything and if you don't want to read everything, you can't be a writer. So good advice.:)

12. Khilo

Khilo New Member

Write what you feel like writing, honestly.

For me, when I really get going, it feels like the words just flow out of me, and I lose track of time, and I just get really into my works. If you're in the mood to write, do it. Pick up a pen and paper and just start writing, and words will come out. You may end up writing feelings, or a story may come out of it, or whatever.

My best advice to you is to continue to read, and to write, to the best of your ability. The fact that you want to become a good writer is good. It will help you to become better. Keep that feeling alive, and you'll eventually get to where you want to be.

13. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Being a good writer is hard (although this depends on your definition of good). While reading does help to a certain point, I feel that actually writing is going to be more helpful. The best thing to do is read some, then write a lot, revise, and revise again.

14. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

Quoted for truth.

Reading is always useful, and it is one thing you can do to become a good critic of your own work, as well as learn basics like grammar, spelling, and vocabulary, as well as to find new ideas. But what will really make you a better writer is practice.

15. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Actually, I think he was saying that if you wanted to be a writer, you needed to do 2 things above all others: read a lot and write a lot, and that there was no shortcut. He wasn't talking about whether the writing would be good, but that those 2 things are prerequisites to being a writer. At least that was my take on it.

I highly recommend On Writing by Stephen King to everyone. Very entertaining and instructive.

16. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Change your definition. Catcher didn't do a thing for me. Don't get me wrong, I can objectively see that it is well-written. But, I didn't like it.

17. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Definitely read, read read because you'll find ideas popping out of your head while reading. There is no plot that hasn't been done before, but its your TAKE on it that matters, so read and think. Then, spend as much time before the computer/typewriter as you can actually writing.

18. W8n4snow

W8n4snow New Member

Dude, I shouldn't Be one who should tell you about writing...Im in middle school! But I know that no matter what you choose to do, you should put your all in it. I Have published things, but many have. To me it sounds like you WANT to write...so go for it, you have one GREAT gift that could make you a ledgendary writer. You've been through the worst...you've been dipressed and been shut out. I've noticed that alot of people LIKE to read anout that stuff, if they've been there or not. So I say go for it, and don't give a god damn what other people say!

19. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

I ask because there are plenty of times when I'm really critical of my own work, so I'm wondering if you guys are confident in your work or not.

20. Synoran

Synoran New Member

It depends on my mood. And my mental stability.
    Basically, if I'm in a good mood, I usually love my work. If I'm not, I usually say I suck and go to my emo corner. (Which is located in my kitchen.)
    However, I do think confidence in your work will get you far. It will keep your motivation up, so you want to continue writing. Generally, if you don't think you're that good at something, you avoid it, because it frustrates you.
    Of course I'm hugely critical of my work. If you don't like it, its really not worth it.
    I'm rarely proud of anything I write. When I am, I build on it, until its presentable. The rest of my stuff should never see the light of the day, or is just random pieces of crap I did as a spur of the moment thing.
    Most of the time I would like to be more confident, but I'm not. When those time occurs, I run to my inner mind, have myself a snickerdoodle cookie and a nap, then continue writing tomorrow.

21. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Good writer? I don't know about all that, but I do have my moments. Every up has its downs, I suppose.

22. Tobi

Tobi New Member

Truthful answer, no. Do I think I’ll be a good writer in the future? Of course. I know I’ll be good as long as I work hard and always strive to improve, so I persevere. And I love writing. Don’t let it get you down.

23. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

At the present time i dont think im a good writer, not even close. BUT im learning, and maybe one day i'll come close to being decent, even if its just for myself.

I like being critical (not for myself, as what i said is reality), but i believe tomorrow could always be better.

24. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I believe I'm a good writer--at least, I seem to know more about spelling/grammar and finishing a story than most people who post their work online--but that doesn't mean I'm a good storyteller. People tell me my work is good but do I have any readers who keep returning for long...? Do I have any fans? Not that I'm aware of.

Being able to capture a reader and KEEP them, to me, is one of the surer signs of being a good writer (whether one has the technical skills or not). And I've failed at that so far. So I know I write well, but as for writing entertainingly, that's another story. I believe my work is good. But if other people don't, then what's the point of what I believe? :(

25. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Hmm....I don't know.... My writing is always changing so I can't take a standpoint for that answer.